Natural & Health Sciences Research & Internships
Recent Seton Hill Faculty Research with Students
- Dr. Jessica Brzyski (Biology, Genetics) - The genetic, biological, and ecological effects to plant rarity.
- Dr. Jamie Fornsaglio (Cell Physiology, Genetics) - The impact of chemical exposure on animal cells. Also, genotyping, single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) analysis, and phenotypic variation.
- Dr. Bobbie Leeper (Forensic Anthropology) - The best ways to remove soft tissue from bones and how this method affects the bones.
- Dr. Ashley Bartelson (Chemistry) - Development of green methods for the oxidation of organic compounds.
- Dr. Jonathan Moerdyk (Chemistry) - Studies in physical organic chemistry investigating the role of electronic on reactivity. Examples include the development of a unique class of organic (carbon-based) compounds to mimic the properties of metal catalysts and rates of esterification with fundamental and industrial applications.
- Dr. Diane Miller (Chemistry) - Determination of the molecular properties of various molecules using UV-vis, fluorescence and/or Raman spectroscopies.
- Dr. Diana Hoover (Chemistry & Forensic Science) - Enzymes and Electrochemistry: bioanalytical measurements of compounds in complex mixtures.
- Barbara Flowers (Forensic Science) - Evidential Value of Duct Tape: Comparing Physical Characteristics, Fingerprints, and DNA Retrieval
- Barbara Flowers (Forensic Science) - Presumptive Testing of Blood on Washed Clothing for Simulated Casework
- Dr. Brian Larouere (Exercise Science, C-Reactive Protein) - The role of C-Reactive Protein as an inflammatory marker in exercise (in conjunction with LECOM’s Dr. Ray)
- Tracy Bowman (Nutrition and Dietetics) - Uncovering the Myth of the “Freshman 15 (lbs.)”: A Study to Determine Eating Habits Among First-Year College Students, Residents and Commuters, at Seton Hill University
Recent Student Internships/Research
- GlaxoSmithKline US research center in Collegeville, PA. - Protein biochemistry internship with the Protein, Cellular & Structural Sciences department, Summer 2017
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) at the University of Cincinnati Summer 2017
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) at University of Maine, Sustainable Forestry Bioproducts Research Institute, Summer 2017
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) at University of Syracuse/Vienna, Austria, Summer 2018
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) at Texas A&M University, Summer 2018, 2019
- Internship at Canandaigua Water Resource Recovery Facility, Summer 2019
- REU at University of Southern Mississippi, Summer 2018
- Internship at ABB, Greensburg, PA, Summer & Fall 2017, Summer 2018
- NanoSafe REU at WVU, Summer 2018
- REU at Duquesne University, Summer 2018
- Internship at CAMO Medical, Mt. Pleasant, PA, Summer 2019
- Internship at LANXESS Corporation, Pittsburgh, PA, Summer 2018
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) at Penn State University Chemistry Program, Summer 2017
- (Chemical Engineering) Internship with ABB, Summer 2017
- (Forensic Science) Westmoreland County Coroner’s Office, Summer 2017
- Conemaugh Hospital System, Mentoring in Medicine Summer Internship, Summer 2017
- Biochemistry Laboratory Intern, Cancer Care Associates of York, Summer 2017
- (Forensic Science) Internship with the Detroit Police Department, Summer 2017
- (Forensic Science) Internship with Monroe County, FL Sheriff’s Department, Summer 2017
- (Chemistry & Forensic Science) FBI Honors Internship, Summer 2017, 2018, 2019
- Biology, Department of Environmental Protection, AMD Stream Quality Analysis, Summer 2018
- Biology, Conemaugh Medical Research Center, SupremeEd Summer Pre-Med Program, Summer 2018
- MedCare Equipment Co, LLC
- UPMC Horizon
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Excela Health
- UPMC Shadyside
- Innate Fitness
- Australian Football Club of Perth, Australia
- Excela Athletic Training
- Alphalete Performance and Fitness
Nutrition & Dietetics
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Food & Nutrition Service
- Head Start
- The Intersection
- Westmoreland County Food Bank
- Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank
- Long-Term Care Facilities
- School Districts
- Community Outreach Organizations