Jessica Brzyski PhD
- Joined Seton Hill
- Buffalo, NY
- Contact Info
I grew up in Buffalo but have lived in many different states (GA, KY, MT, OH, TN). I received my PhD in Ohio, completed my postdoc in Kentucky, and have worked in Georgia for a few years. My research uses plants as study organism but I have also worked with bobwhite quail, greater sage grouse, beavers, and loggerhead sea turtles. Besides my interest in ecology and genetics, I also love to travel, watch hockey (Let's Go Buffalo Sabres!), run, and eat. Check out my website to learn more about research in my lab: https://brzyskilab.wordpress.com/
- B.S. - Environmental & Forest Biology - SUNY College of Environmental Science & Forestry (Syracuse, NY)
- M.S. - Biology, Georgia Southern University (Statesboro, GA)
- Ph.D. - Biology, University of Cincinnati (Cincinnati, OH)
- Brzyski J. 2020. Is bigger always better? An investigation on the effect of drought on different sizes of trees. HHMI BioInteractive Data Explorer FMN (2020), QUBES Educational Resources.
- Brzyski JR, Stieha CR, and McLetchie DN. 2018. The impact of asexual and sexual reproduction in spatial genetic structure within and between populations of the dioecious plant Marchantia inflexa (Marchantiaceae). Annals of Botany.
- Merritt, BJ, Culley TM, Avaneysan A, Stokes R, and Brzyski JR. 2015. An empirical review: Characteristics of plant microsatellite markers that confer greater levels of genetic variation. Applications in Plant Sciences 3(8):1500025.
- Brzyski JR, Culley TM, and Hird A. 2014. Does sexual reproduction matter for rare clonal species in frequently disturbed habitat? Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society 141: 294-301.
- Brzyski JR, Taylor W, and McLetchie DN. 2014. Reproductive allocation between the sexes, across habitats, and its effects on genetic diversity. Evolutionary Ecology 28: 247-261.
- Culley TM, Stamper TI, Stokes RL, Brzyski JR, Hardiman NA, Klooster MR, and Merritt BJ. 2013. An efficient technique for primer development and application that integrates fluorescent labeling and multiplexing PCR. Applications in Plant Science 1(10): 1300027.
- Brzyski JR, and Culley TM. 2013. Seed germination in the riparian zone: the case of the rare shrub, Spiraea virginiana (Rosaceae). Castanea 78: 87-94.
- Brzyski JR, Adams KJ, Walter CM, Gale KH, and McLetchie, DN. 2012. Characterization of 12 polymorphic microsatellite markers in the liverwort Marchantia inflexa (Marchantiaceae). Journal of Botany Primer Notes & Protocols 99: e440-e442.
- Matter SF, Brzyski JR, Harrison CJ, Hyams S, Loo C, Loomis J, Lubbers HR, Seastrum L, Stamper TI, Stein AM, Stokes R, and Wilkerson BS. 2012. Invading from the garden? A comparison of leaf herbivory for exotic and native plants in natural and ornamental settings. Insect Science 19: 677-682.
- Brzyski, JR and Culley, TM. 2011. Genetic variation and clonal structure of the rare shrub Spiraea virginiana (Rosaceae). Conservation Genetics 12: 1323-1332.
- Brzyski, JR. 2010. Isolation and characterization of microsatellite markers in the rare clonal plant, Spiraea virginiana (Rosaceae). American Journal of Botany Primer Notes & Protocols 97: e20-e22.
- Brzyski, JR and Schulte, BA. 2009. Beaver (Castor canadensis) impacts on herbaceous and woody vegetation in Southeastern Georgia. American Midland Naturalist 162: 74-86.