- Joined Seton Hill
- Latrobe, PA
- Contact Info
- (724) 830-4735
Dr. Jones is an Associate Professor of Communication at Seton Hill. She received her Ph.D. and M.B.A. from Duquesne University. Her scholarly research attends to social issues in communication, corporate ethics, and leadership. Prior to teaching in an academic setting, she worked for one of the largest sporting goods retailers in the country as an Assistant Buyer handling major brands and accounts. Her role changed from a merchandiser to a manager when she started working as a Director at a large resort. She coached over sixty staff members and was actively involved in strategic planning. Additionally, she designed and operated a Team Building and Leadership development program that provided training for corporate clients. Throughout her career, she has studied and presented in Western and Eastern Europe, Canada, China, India, Israel, and Sri Lanka. She has also taken students on a study abroad trip to Scotland, England, Ireland, and Italy.
- BS, Indiana University of Pennsylvania (Indiana, PA), 1998
- MBA, Duquesne University (Pittsburgh, PA), 2007
- Ph.D., Duquesne University (Pittsburgh, PA), 2014
- Jones, J. (2016). Colloquium on Levinas, leadership, and ethics: The derivative organization and responsible leadership - Levinas's dwelling and discourse. Leadership and the Humanities, 4(1), 41-44. [More Information]
- Jones, J. (2015). Walking with Merton: A Soul’s Journey – Review of Simply Merton: Wisdom from His Journals. The Merton Seasonal, summer.
- Jones, J. (2014). Leadership lessons from Levinas: Revisiting responsible leadership. Leadership and the Humanities, 1(2), 44-63. [More Information]
- McDevitt, T. and Jones, J. (2013). We’re all in this together: Stress reduction and team building for modern library organizations. Codex, 2(3), 78-99.
- Jones, J. and Bharadwaj, P. (2013). Instrumental to ethical: Ancient guidance for contemporary individual social responsibility. Competition Forum, 11(1), 160-164.
- Jones, J. and Michalec, B. (2013). Existential leadership: ‘Good Faith’ in contemporary Capitalism. In A. Marturano (Ed.) ISLC: Sustainable Leadership for Socially Responsible Organizations (46-47). Rome, Italy.
- Jones, J. (2011). Building research projects in teams. In T. McDevitt (Ed.), Let the Games Begin! Engaging Students with Field-tested Interactive Information Literacy Instruction, (11-14), Chicago, IL: Neal-Schuman.
- National Communication Association; International Leadership Association; Pennsylvania Communication Association (President); Beta Gamma Sigma; Phi Kappa Phi
- “Hegemony with Good Intentions: Problematizing Conscious Capitalism and Other Socially Responsible Business Practices” (2016) National Communication Association Convention (Philadelphia, PA)
- “Collaborative Communication and Team Building” 2017 Center for University Scholars (Jackson, MS) [More Information]
- “Mythodology for Interpretive Leadership Scholarship” International Studying Leadership 2014 Conference (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- “Existential Leadership: Interpersonal Engagement within Organizations” International Leadership Association 2014 Conference (San Diego, CA)
- "From the Toy Store Pink Aisle to Marketplace Pink Collar Jobs: Building and Becoming Otherwise with Goldie Blox" NCA 2014 Conference (Chicago, IL)
- “An Interplay of Rhetoric and Phenomenology in the Working Life of the Poor” National Communication Association 2014 Conference (Chicago, IL)
- “Merton’s Existential Communication: The Meaning and Power of Love” Pennsylvania Communication Association 2014 Pre-Conference (Pittsburgh, PA)
- “Existential Education: An Indirect Communicative Pedagogy” Pennsylvania Communication Association 2014 Conference (Pittsburgh, PA)
- “Existential Meeting of Horizons” Phenomenology Roundtable 2014 (Buffalo, NY)
- “Applying and Interviewing for Employment” (2015). Society for Human Resources, Student Chapter (Indiana, PA).
- “Women in the Workplace: Building & Maintaining Sisterhood” (2014). The Claire R. Schmieler Leadership Institute (Slippery Rock, PA)
- Keynote “Determinants of Success: Rats, Brick Walls, and 10,000 Hours” 2014, Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi Annual Initiation Ceremony (Greensburg, PA)
- “A Word of Caution for Appreciative Inquiry” (2015). National Communication Association Convention, Las Vegas, NV.
- “Being and Somethingness: In Inquiry into Existential Communication” (2015). Pennsylvania Communication Association Pre-Conference, York, PA.
- “Cultural Diversity in Business Communication” 2013 Case per ferie “Casa di Nazareth” Suore della Sacra Famiglia di Nazareth (Boccea, Italy)
- “Women in the Workplace: Building & Maintaining Sisterhood” 2014; “Women in the Workplace: Historical and Contemporary Issues” 2011 The Claire R. Schmieler Leadership Institute (Slippery Rock, PA)
- “Interpersonal Communication” “Servant Leadership” “The Meaning and Power of Love” St. Anne Home, Sponsored by the Felician Sisters (Greensburg, PA): 2012; 2013; 2014
- “Team Building” The Leadership Institute for Faculty Women (State College, PA): 2010 & 2012
- “Promoting Information Literacy through Activity-Based Learning” Point Park University co-presenter 2011 (Pittsburgh, PA)
- “Business Ethics Theory and Practice” 2010 International Symposium on Innovation, Leadership, and Change (Colombo, Sri Lanka)
- Feature Article, "Learning through Service" Forward Magazine, 2015, spring/summer, p. 45. [More Information]
- Invited Respondent “Contemporary Issues Involving Media and Society” (2015) Mass Media & Society Interest Group, Pennsylvania Communication Association.
- Invited Respondent “Thomas Merton in the Communication Classroom” Philosophy of Communication Pre-Conference 2014 for the Pennsylvania Communication Association (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Invited Chairperson “Emotional Labor and Communicative Praxis” International Leadership Association 2014 Conference (San Diego, CA)
- 2014-present Board Member, Open Hands, advocacy organization, Westmoreland County
- 2016-2017 Undergraduate Communication Research Interest Group Chairperson, Pennsylvania Communication Association.
- 2015-2016 Interpersonal/Organizational Interest Group Chairperson, Pennsylvania Communication Association
- Invited Reviewer, Qualitative Research Reports in Communication
- Invited Reviewer, Business Ethics Quarterly
- Invited Reviewer, Leadership