- Joined Seton Hill
- Greensburg, PA
- Contact Info
Edward M. Kuhn, Jr. is Associate Professor of Music at Seton Hill University in Greensburg, PA, where he teaches Applied Piano, Keyboard Strategies, and Piano Pedagogy. Mr. Kuhn is a Nationally Certified Teacher of Music, NCTM, from the Music Teachers National Association and is the MTNA Foundation chair for Pennsylvania Music Teachers Association. Mr. Kuhn is the sponsor /advisor for the Seton Hill University PMTA Student Chapter which is very active and visible in the Music Program and at the PMTA state conferences. In addition to his university course load, Edward Kuhn also teaches piano students in the Community Arts Program of Seton Hill University and is a frequent soloist and collaborative pianist for recitals and festivals. Mr. Kuhn earned a BA from Carlow College and a MFA from Carnegie-Mellon University with a Certificate in Piano Pedagogy. Mr. Kuhn studied piano with Mildred Alvine Gardner and Nelson B. Whitaker, and piano pedagogy with Hannah Wu Li. In June 2014, Mr. Kuhn was presented The Pennsylvania Music Teachers Association’s Teacher of the Year Award.
- M.F.A. in Music Performance, Carnegie-Mellon University, 1988
- Certificate in Piano Pedagogy, Carnegie-Mellon university, 1988
- B.A.in Music Performance, Carlow College, 1978
- Teacher of the Year Award – 2014, Pennsylvania Music Teachers Association.
- Friday Evening Music Club of Greensburg (Mildred Alvine Gardner Scholarship Chair, Board Member), 2010- present
- Westmoreland Chapter - PMTA -Dorothy Sutton Performance Festival Chair, Board Member, Sonatina Competition Committee, 2000-present
- Pennsylvania Music Teachers Association - PMTA -Pennsylvania Foundation Fund Chair, Board Member, Seton Hill University Collegiate Chapter Sponsor/Advisor, 2002-present
- Music Teachers National Association - MTNA
- “Enrique Granados, Spanish Poet of the Piano: Commemorating the 100 Year Anniversary of His Death.” Pennsylvania Music Teachers Association State Conference, Seven Springs, PA, June 10, 2016.
- Advisor, coach, and sponsor for Seton Hill University-Pennsylvania Music Teachers Association Student Chapter Presentation of Peter and the Wolf by Sergei Prokofiev, Duet arrangement by Elizabeth Lauer, Pennsylvania Music Teachers Association State Conference, Seven Springs, PA, June 11, 2016.
- “Spotlight on the Romantic Style,” Westmoreland Chapter of Pennsylvania Music Teachers Association, Otterbein United Methodist Church, Greensburg, PA, February 22, 2015.
- Advisor, coach and sponsor for Seton Hill University-Pennsylvania Music Teachers Association Student Chapter Presentation “The Music Teacher’s iPad”, Pennsylvania Music Teachers Association 2013 State Conference, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, June 7, 2013.
- Presentation – “How to Prepare Students for the Dorothy Sutton Performance Festival Local Auditions” – Westmoreland Chapter Pennsylvania Music Teachers, Vittone’s Music Center, Greensburg, PA, January 2012.
- Advisor, coach and sponsor to SHU -PMTA Student Chapter Workshops. "The iPad and the Musician-Applications" and "Well Ah-chorded Accompaniments". Pennsylvania Music Teachers Association 2011 State Conference (Pocono Manor, PA), June 11&12, 2011.
- Chair, "Spotlight on Bartok" -Westmoreland Chapter PMTA,Seton Hill University, February 2009
- Assistant Chair, "Spotlight on Robert and Clara Schumann, Westmoreland Chapter PMTA, Seton Hill University, February 2008
- Workshop-"New Piano Music for Worship" - Westmoreland AGO, First Presbyterian Church, Greensburg, PA, 2000.
- Pianist in Oregon Sky Music by Morrie Brand, Westmoreland Symphony Orchestra Academy of Music’s Summer Philharmonic Concert, Seton Hill University, July 12, 2016.
- “Spanish Dances Nos. 2 and 8” by Enrique Granados, “Three Preludes For Piano and Clarinet” by George Gershwin, “Trio for Flute, Oboe, and Piano” by Gordon Jacob, also accompanied “Tacea la note placida, from Il trovatore” by Guiseppe Verdi, and “Anyone Can Whistle” by Stephen Sondheim, Seton Hill University Music Faculty Recital, February 5, 2016.
- Etude in Db Major,“un sospiro” by Franz Liszt, complete Mother Goose Suite for piano duet by Maurice Ravel with colleague Christine Loughran. My Seton Hill University student, Brandon Rhody, performed “Ballade No.1 in G Minor, Op. 23” by Frederic Chopin. Campana Chapel, University of Pittsburgh Greensburg Campus, Greensburg, PA, April 24, 2015.
- Etude in Db Major, “Un Sospiro,” by Franz Liszt, “Dammi un bacio from Cosi Fan Tutte (arr. piano duet) by W.A. Mozart, “Dance Preludes” for Clarinet and Piano by Witold Lutoslawski, also accompanied “Chanson de Don Quixote” by Jacques Ibert, “Ah! Tardai Troppo-O Luce di Quest’anima” by Gaetano Donnizetti, “Meine Lippen sie Kussen so Heiss” by Franz Lehar, Seton Hill University Faculty Recital, February 13, 2015.
- “Sounds of the Season-Around the World,” a Lecture/Recital for the Aspinwall Presbyterian Performing Arts Series, Aspinwall Presbyterian Church, Aspinwall, PA, December 14, 2014.
- “Sounds of the Season-Around the World,” a Lecture/Recital, Calvin United Presbyterian Church, Scottdale, PA, December 20, 2014.
- “Sounds of the Season-Around the World,” a Lecture/Recital, Sisters of Charity, Chapel of the Assumption, Caritas Christi, Greensburg, PA, December 29, 2014.
- “Valse Poeticos” by Enrique Granados, Seton Hill University Faculty Recital, March 2012.
- Recital to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church in Gibsonia, PA -May 22, 2011.
- Piano Dedication Recital - "The 88 Keys Donor Recital" at the Greater Latrobe Area Center for Student Creativity, March 27, 2010.
- "Eclogue for Piano and Strings," Op.10 by Gerald Finzi, with the Westmoreland Youth Symphony Orchestra, Seton Hill University Performing Arts Center, November 2009.
- Guest Accompanist for Pennsylvania Music Educators Elementary, Junior High and Senior High Choral Festivals hosted by Pittsburgh Central Catholic, Greensburg Central Catholic, Hempfield, Latrobe, Mount Pleasant Area and Trinity Christian.
- Faculty Recital with Dr. Curt Scheib and Dr. Nina Tober, Seton Hill University, April 2008.
- Weaver Steinway Dedication Recital, Christ, Prince of Peace Church, Ford City, PA, 2005
- Quintet in Eb Major, K.452 - W.A.Mozart & Sextuor - Francis Poulenc - Seton Hill University Woodwind Faculty Recitals, Seton Hill University, (2006/2004).
- Piano Dedication Recital, Aspinwall Presbyterian Church, Aspinwall, PA, 2002.
- DMA recital accompanist with Curt Scheib, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, 1999
- Nationally Certified Teacher of Music of Music Teachers National Association - Permanent Certification