David von Schlichten D.Min., Ph.D., M.F.A.
- Joined Seton Hill
- Greensburg, PA
- Contact Info
Dave was born in Easton, Pa and graduated from Bangor High School in Bangor, PA. He majored in English and religion at Drew University. From May 24, 1997 to November 13, 2020, Dave was a pastor in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Dave has a doctorate in ministry, a Ph.D. in English (Literature and Criticism), and an M.F.A. in Writing Popular Fiction (from Seton Hill). Dave is married to Kim and has two adult step-children, Michael and Katie, and a granddaughter, Mle. He has over 200 publishing credits in various genres. He loves animals. Dave is athletically inept, although he did complete the Pittsburgh marathon in 2010. Oh, and he can juggle.
- M.F.A. in Writing Popular Fiction, Seton Hill University, 2019
- Ph.D. in English Literature and Criticism, IUP, 2012
- D.Min., Lutheran Theological Seminary Philadelphia, 2003
- M.Div., Lutheran Theological Seminary in Gettysburg, 1997, divisional honors in homiletics
- M.A. in English (summa cum laude), Kutztown University, 1993
- B.A. in English and religion (summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa), Drew University, 1991
- Click here to see some of my more than 200 publications. [More Information]
- Griffin Spirit Award, 2021
- Nominee, Women and Girls Foundation’s recognition of men who have contributed to the advancement of women, 2012
- Membership, 1885 Club (honor society for graduates of Bangor High School (in PA) who have achieved significant distinction vocationally/in the community), 2013
- Founder of Golden Rule Online Worldwide (G.R.O.W.), a movement committed to ending online hate and harassment through transformative kindness. See the Facebook page for Golden Rule Online Worldwide for details. [More Information]
- Coordinator of the Gender and Women's Studies Program
- Faculty Co-Advisor, Seton Hill Feminist Collective
- I was asked by the undergraduate Class of 2022 to give the commencement address, which I did on May 7, 2022. The students gave me a standing ovation. I was deeply honored. You can watch my thirteen-minute speech here. [More Information]
- In 2010-11, I performed for church events a thirty-minute, one-person play based on the book of Jonah
- Former columnist for GoodPreacher.com
- Former editor for "Lectionary Homiletics"
- Served as pastor of Saint James Evangelical Lutheran Church in Youngstown, PA 1997-2014