- Joined Seton Hill
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Contact Info
- (724) 830-1140
Dana Elmendorf, ATR-BC, LPC is the Program Director of the Seton Hill Graduate Art Therapy Program. Prior to joining the Seton Hill faculty full-time, she provided art therapy and counseling services in a variety of settings which included homeless and domestic violence shelters, geriatric partial programs, community mental health centers for adults managing mental illness and inpatient psychiatric facilities focusing on behavioral health. This variety of professional experience brings a practical perspective to teaching from the front lines of mental health care. In addition to experience in clinical mental health work she continues to facilitate arts experiences within community-based settings which have included work with individuals experiencing homelessness and also individuals with Intellectual Disabilities. ----- Throughout her career, Dana has always been eager to explore the world around her and has lived and worked overseas in Thailand while traveling extensively throughout SouthEast Asia and Europe. Stories of these experiences are woven into teaching, and Dana encourages students to think from diverse and multiple points of view while consistently seeking to disrupt assumptions and stereotypes of others. A mantra for her lifelong learning is, " The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust
- MA, Expressive Therapy, Art Therapy Concentration, Lesley University, (Cambridge, MA) , 1985
- BA, Lehigh University (Bethlehem, PA) 1982
- Elmendorf, D. (2010). Minding our P’s through Q’s: Addressing possibilities and precautions of community work through new questions. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association. 27(1) pp.40-43. [More Information]
- 2016 Presidential Award for Exemplary Service – given by the American Art Therapy Association [More Information]
- Prevention Award (2015) – from Mental Health America of Southwest PA. For providing a wide variety of professional experiences bringing a practical perspective to teaching at the front lines of mental health work. [More Information]
- Barbara Gittings Activist of the Year (2007) from Equality Advocates Pennsylvania, now known as Equality Pennsylvania [More Information]
- American Art Therapy Association [More Information]
- American Counseling Association [More Information]
- Pennsylvania Counseling Association [More Information]
- Pittsburgh Arts in Education and Therapy [More Information]
- Elmendorf, D. Integrating the Arts into the Continuum of Care, Presentation for Veteran Community Partnerships (VCP). October 11, 2016.
- Art Therapy Education Continuum: Undergraduate to Doctorate, Panel presentation to the American Art Therapy Association Annual Conference: Trailblazing the Future. San Antonio, TX, July 9-13, 2014.
- Elmendorf,D. "Using Creative Approaches for Trauma Recovery: Theories and Principles of Ethical Practice". Presentation offered through the Dialogue and Resolution Center of the Center for Victims of VIolence and Crime, Pittsburgh, PA, October 12, 2012.
- Elmendorf, D & Ghubril, P. "The Synergy of Hope: Combining Resiliency Theory and Creativity in Counseling", Presented to the Pennsylvania Counseling Association Annual Conference. State College, PA, October 2011.
- Elmendorf, D. & Denninger, N. "Creative Responses to Client Creativity in Counseling: A Master Supervision Opportunity for New Professionals", Pre-conference workshop presented to the Pennsylvania Counseling Association Annual Conference. State College, PA, October, 2011.
- Elmendorf, D. & Veri, J. "It Begins With Us: Therapist Reactions to Transgender Clients", Presented to the Pennsylvania Counseling Association Annual Conference. State College, PA, October, 2009. Also presented to the American Art Therapy Association Annual Conference. July, 2009 and the American Counseling Association Annual Conference. Pittsburgh, PA, March, 2010.
- Elmendorf, D. "Skills, Surprises and Secrets Boxes: Facilitating Client Involvement Through An Art-Based Counseling Approach", Presented to the Pennsylvania Counseling Association Annual Conference. State College, PA, October, 2009.
- Elmendorf, D. "Art Therapy" Presented July 2008 for the Hillman Cancer Center 2008 Summer Series: Creative Arts Therapies
- Panel presentation, "Creative Arts Therapy and Ethics” and “Art Therapy Breakout”. Presented April, 2008 for the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work
- Elmendorf, D. "Creativity in Counseling: Picturing Possibilities". Presented July 2006 for the Greater Pittsburgh Counseling Association
- Licensed Professional Counselor with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Board Certified Art Therapist with the Art Therapy Credentials Board (ATR-BC)
- Accreditation Council for Art Therapy Education (ACATE), Chair, 2015- present [More Information]
- American Art Therapy Association Master’s Education Standards Revision Task Force, Co-Chair, 2013 - 2015
- Served as Member of Ad-Hoc Editor Search Committee and also the Education Committee for the American Art Therapy Association
- Served as Chair of the Seton Hill University Professional Development Committee
- Served as Board member of the Greater Pittsburgh Counseling Association (GPCA)
- Served as Chair of the Registration Standards Committee for the Art Therapy Credentials Board