Abby Boytos PhD
- Joined Seton Hill
- West Mifflin, PA
- Contact Info
I joined the Psychology Department at Seton Hill University in 2022. I earned my BS in psychology at Coastal Carolina University and went on to earn my MS and PhD in psychology at Iowa State University. My research examines how social processes, such as trust and shared reality, relate to autobiographical memory, and how communicating about our life experiences with others can change how we view those experiences, and in some cases, how we view ourselves. I am also passionate about promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion through my teaching and scholarship.
- PhD., Iowa State University (Ames, IA) 2022
- M.S., Iowa State University (Ames, IA) 2020
- B.S., Coastal Carolina University (Conway, SC) 2016
- Boytos, A. S., & Costabile, K. A. (Under Review). Shared reality, memory goal satisfaction, and psychological well-being during conversational remembering.
- Boytos, A., & Costabile, K. (2022). Social influence and autobiographical recall: Epistemic trust and shared reality shape perceptions of autobiographical events. Social Cognition, 40(5), 411-437.
- Boytos, A. S., Costabile, K. A., & Logan, T. R. (2022) Describing autobiographical memories: Effects of shared reality and audience attitude valence on perceived authenticity and self-esteem. Self and Identity, doi: 10.1080/15298868.2022.2029553
- Costabile, K., & Boytos, A. (2021). Autobiographical narratives reflect, repair, and rewrite self-views. Psychological Inquiry, 32(4), 275-283. doi: 10.1080/1047840X.2021.2007702
- Boytos, A., Costabile, K., Austin, A., & Short, K. (2019). Feminism, gender, and agentic and communal themes in narrative identity. Sex Roles: A Journal of Research, 83, 54-63. doi:10.1007/s11199-019-01089x
- Boytos, A., Smith, K., & Kim, J. (2017). The underdog advantage in creativity. Thinking Skills and Creativity, 26, 96-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2017.10.003
- Boytos, A., & Pettijohn, T. (2017). The effects of religion & career priming on problem-solving persistence in college students. Psi Chi Journal of Psychological Research, Winter, 286-292. https://doi.org/10.24839/2325-7342.JN22.4.286%20
- Kim, J., Boytos, A., Seong, Y., & Park, K. (2015). The influence of biomedical information and childhood history on sentencing. Behavioral Sciences and the Law, 33, 815-826. doi:10.1002/bsl.2199.
- Iowa State University Outstanding Graduate Student in Research Award
- Iowa State University Outstanding Graduate Student in Teaching Award
- Boytos, A., & Costabile, K. (2021, April). Audience, trust, and elaboration shape perceptions of past experiences. Talk presented at the Midwestern Psychological Association, Virtual.
- Boytos, A., Logan, T., & Costabile, K. (2021, February). Perceptions of Authenticity Mediate the Effect of Shared Reality on Self-Esteem During Autobiographical Recall. Datablitz presented at the Society for Personality and Social Psychology’s Annual Convention, Shared Reality and Authenticity Preconference, Virtual..
- Boytos, A., & Costabile, K. (2020, March). Two Sides to Every Story: The Influence of Audience Perspective on Autobiographical Recall. Datablitz Presented at the Society for Personality and Social Psychology’s Annual Convention, Shared Reality and Authenticity Preconference, New Orleans, LA.
- Boytos, A., & Kim, J. (2015, March). When can biomedical information and abusive family background be effective in court? Talk presented at the annual meeting of the Southeastern Psychological Association, Hilton Head, SC.
- Boytos, A. & Costabile, K. (2019, February). The Influence of Audience on Autobiographical Memory. Poster presented at the Society for Personality and Social Psychology’s Annual Convention, Portland, OR.
- Boytos, A., Powalie, K., & Kim, J. (2016, April). Unrequited Love: How it Begins can help Predict Understanding at the End. Poster presented at the South Carolina Psychological Association Spring Convention, Myrtle Beach, SC.