When you study Spanish at Seton Hill, you learn from native speakers who are nationally-accomplished language professors. You practice what you learn in Spanish-speaking countries - while immersing yourself in the culture. You benefit from a supportive, highly-personalized program. And you graduate with an Oral Proficiency Interview Certification from the American Council on Teaching Foreign Languages. Sound good? Then let’s go!
Get the Information You Need to Move Forward.
Why Study Spanish at Seton Hill?
Certification from the American Council on Teaching Foreign Languages
As a Seton Hill Spanish major you’ll enjoy personalized training that follows the standards set by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). This leads to the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview Certification, which you will receive prior to graduation. (This is often required by government, court systems, hospitals and other organizations when they are hiring employees required to speak specific languages.)
All Spanish majors at Seton Hill University participate in at least one study abroad experience. Options include:
- Short-term, intensive study abroad and service experiences led by Seton Hill faculty in January and May to places like Spain, Argentina, Guatemala, Mexico and the Dominican Republic.
- A semester abroad at the University of Córdoba in Spain. Seton Hill’s cooperative exchange program with this university allows you to stay enrolled through Seton Hill, so your tuition rates and financial aid stay the same.
- Study at the Instituto Intercultural del Caribe in the Dominican Republic. Seton Hill’s collaborative agreement with this school allows you to easily transfer credits.
- Having Seton Hill pay for your passport through our Passport to the World Program.
Certification as a Spanish Teacher
At Seton Hill, you can earn your Spanish degree while also preparing to become a certified K - 12 Spanish teacher.
At Seton Hill, Spanish courses include service-learning and cultural events. Seton Hill also has a student-run Spanish Club that coordinates projects and trips. Here, you can enjoy:
- Story exchanges with Latino-serving nonprofits
- Cooking demonstrations
- Tango & Salsa dance parties
- Spanish Christmas caroling
- Celebrations for Semana Santa
- A trip to Latino Night at PNC Park, home of the Pittsburgh Pirates baseball team
Spanish faculty at Seton Hill enjoy teaching, advising, and traveling with Spanish majors. Language professors at Seton Hill are also:
- Authors of books and articles on immigration, gender studies, poetry, theatre, narrative and film.
- Officers for the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese (AATSP).
- Active in the Pa. State Modern Language Association (PSMLA).
- Coordinators of a yearly on-campus conference for K-16 teachers that fosters cultural knowledge and creativity in teaching. (Co-sponsored by the Western Pa. Chapter of the AATSP.)
- Content matter experts for student applications to prestigious Fulbright Awards in Latin American and Spain.
- Native speakers, hailing from Spain, France, Germany, Perú and the U.S.
Seton Hill offers a minor in medical Spanish, with coursework focused on Spanish for medical purposes and culturally competent care.
Study in Other Languages
While not a requirement to earn the degree, as a Spanish major at Seton Hill you’ll be encouraged to study an additional modern language. Study in multiple languages can support your passion for languages, enhance your career options and deepen your cultural insights about diverse global communities. Other languages you can study at Seton Hill include French, Italian, German, Russian, Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese and Hindi.
More than 550 million people speak Spanish, making it one of the most popular languages in the world. At Seton Hill, you will become a proficient Spanish speaker with a strong understanding of Spanish and Latino / Hispanic cultures. As a result, a degree in Spanish from Seton Hill opens up career opportunities in a variety of fields and industries, including:
- Healthcare Travel & Tourism
- Museums, Libraries & Cultural Organizations
- Science & Technology
- Business & Nonprofits
- Public Relations & Marketing Journalism & Communications Social Service
The award-winning Career and Professional Development Center at Seton Hill will help you get ready for your future.
Ready to Take Your Next Step Forward?
You can apply online for free any time. Seton Hill features streamlined admission and a comprehensive aid program. If you haven’t been to visit us yet, please schedule a time to come up to the Hill. You may just see your future from here.