Write Your Own Story
What makes fake news “fake?” How does literature teach us empathy? In a world dominated by apps and ebooks, how can you sell your words? Where do we find an online audience for specific information? What's the best way to take complex information and make it easy for anyone to understand? Why is storytelling important in global relations? As a Seton Hill University English Program graduate you will know how to answer questions like these - and how to make a fulfilling career out of what you enjoy most.
Get the Information You Need to Move Forward.
Why an English Degree from Seton Hill?
As a Seton Hill University English major, you’ll enjoy a comprehensive curriculum - including learning in creative writing, literature and new media journalism - that will prepare you for a broad spectrum of careers. Plus, you'll have the opportunity to:
- Gain journalism experience by working on The Setonian, a student-run news source with both print and digital components.
- Learn what it's like to be an editor by working on Eye Contact, our campus literary magazine.
- Create multimodal projects that prepare you for success as a digital content creator.
- Write what you read! Seton Hill offers an emphasis on popular fiction, and students in the English major can take advantage of special opportunities associated with the M.F.A. in Writing Popular Fiction.
- Explore readings that engage with both classic and cutting edge works.
- Get involved! Become a part of our community through participation in the English Club, our chapter of the International Honors society, Sigma Tau Delta - or both!
- Experience a close-knit group of majors who enjoy gathering outside the classroom for special events like Pittsburgh literary lectures, poetry readings, novel and poetry writing groups and guest speakers.
Careers: Where There Are Words, There is Work
The words you're reading now? Someone enjoyed writing them - and got paid to do so. The Bureau of Labor Statistics expects career opportunities for fields traditionally associated with graduates holding degrees in English (such as teaching, writing and library science) to have strong or accelerated growth in the years to come. A degree in English from Seton Hill will prepare you for careers in:
- Creative Writing
- Technical Writing
- Business Writing
- Web Writing
- Public Relations
- Library Science
- Content Creation & Strategy
To make sure that you're on track for a career after you graduate, you'll participate in yearly career workshops just for English majors that will take you through each step of the process: planning your university experience, preparing and applying for internships, and applying for the jobs of your dreams. Plus, Seton Hill’s award-winning Career and Professional Development Center (CPDC) will work with you throughout your academic journey to provide you with the career preparation skills, internship opportunities and placement services you need to keep you moving up.
Learn from people who practice what they preach! At Seton Hill, you'll enjoy learning from poets, novelists, literary critics and writers who publish in every genre: from urban fantasy to Irish literature, from the Southern kitchen to video games. We even have an award-winning horror poet on faculty.
Narrative 4: Using Storytelling to Change the World
Narrative 4 is a global, nonpartisan network of artists, educators and students that uses the power of personal stories to build empathy and spark collaborative change. Partnering with this global organization, Seton Hill's English Program integrates the Narrative 4 story exchange model into courses, workshops and special events throughout the University.
Becoming an English Teacher
At Seton Hill, you can prepare to become a certified English teacher while earning your English B.A.
Ready to Take Your Next Step UP?
You can apply online for free any time. Seton Hill features streamlined admission requirements and a comprehensive aid program. If you haven’t been to visit us yet, please schedule a time to come up to the Hill. You may just see your future from here.