How Do I Apply for Credits Earned Through Life, Work or Military Experience?

At Seton Hill, you have a lot of options. You can:

Take an Exam

Petition for Credit

  • Write a narrative outlining how your work and/or volunteer experience, training, and certifications meet the course objectives. It's a simple, yet effective way to earn credit for your experience.

Create a Portfolio

  • Document your prior learning through work or volunteer experience through a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Portfolio. Contact Seton Hill at to set this up.

Submit an ACE Working Transcript or Joint Services (Military) Transcript 

  • Seton Hill accepts transcripts created by the American Council on Education (ACE) for prior learning obtained through life experience; professional training, licenses and certifications; or military service.

Not Sure Which Option to Choose or How to Get Started?CAEL Member

The Council for Adult & Experiential Learning (CAEL) has created a credit predictor tool just for Seton Hill. It's a quick, easy online questionnaire that you can access here

Academic Credits Earned Elsewhere

If you have earned course credits at other colleges and want to apply them to a Seton Hill degree or certificate, you can find information on how to transfer credits on the Online Bachelor’s & Certificates Program Admissions Requirements page. 

To contact the Office of Graduate and Online Studies, please call us at (724) 838-4208 or email us at