Credit for Life, Work & Military Experience
How Do I Apply for Credits Earned Through Life, Work or Military Experience?
At Seton Hill, you have a lot of options. You can:
Take an Exam
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Exam - This is a nationally recognized series of examinations which allow the student to demonstrate knowledge acquired in a non-college setting.
- Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) DSST Exam - A series of technical and non-technical exams developed by the Armed Services. These exams complement the CLEP series.
- Challenge Exams - Specifically designed exams that provide students with the opportunity to earn credit for prior learning in a specific academic program areas. Contact Seton Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org to set this up.
Petition for Credit
- Write a narrative outlining how your work and/or volunteer experience, training, and certifications meet the course objectives. It's a simple, yet effective way to earn credit for your experience.
Create a Portfolio
- Document your prior learning through work or volunteer experience through a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Portfolio. Contact Seton Hill at email@example.com to set this up.
Submit an ACE Working Transcript or Joint Services (Military) Transcript
- Seton Hill accepts transcripts created by the American Council on Education (ACE) for prior learning obtained through life experience; professional training, licenses and certifications; or military service.
Not Sure Which Option to Choose or How to Get Started?
The Council for Adult & Experiential Learning (CAEL) has created a credit predictor tool just for Seton Hill. It's a quick, easy online questionnaire that you can access here.
Academic Credits Earned Elsewhere
If you have earned course credits at other colleges and want to apply them to a Seton Hill degree or certificate, you can find information on how to transfer credits on the Online Bachelor’s & Certificates Program Admissions Requirements page.