Exercise Science (B.S.)
Exercise Science (B.S.)
Keep Moving In the Right Direction
Would you like to teach someone how to exercise safely? Or train like a professional athlete? As a student in Seton Hill’s Exercise Science Program, you can get started on a career that will keep you - and your clients - moving in the right direction. Seton Hill’s Exercise Science Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
Get the Information You Need to Move Forward.
What is Exercise Science?
When you study exercise science, you learn:
- How physical activity affects people (exercise physiology)
- What kinds of exercise help prevent, or treat, chronic conditions (clinical exercise physiology)
- How forces affect the body and how people move (biomechanics)
- The foods that keep people healthy and enhance physical performance (nutrition)
- How behavior and outlook affect health and performance (psychology)
- How nerves and muscles work together (motor control & learning)
- The best ways to optimize physical performance (athletic training & sports medicine
Why Study Exercise Science at Seton Hill?
As a student in the Exercise Science Program, you will prepare to become a leader in the industry. At Seton Hill, you'll use cutting-edge technology and enjoy hands-on learning experiences under the careful supervision of dedicated faculty. This unique program provides you with a strong science base - including learning in anatomy, exercise physiology and biomechanics - and then provides you with the opportunity to apply this knowledge in practical experiences working with real people.
Personal Support Right From the Start
At bigger schools, you may never meet your professors. In Seton Hill's Exercise Science Program, your professors will meet with you right away, and help you create a plan for your professional future. You will receive personal assistance choosing courses, finding the best internship experiences, and planning for your first job or graduate school. Since we keep our classes small, your professors will know you and help you throughout your time at Seton Hill (and beyond).
Two Areas of Concentration: Clinical or Health & Fitness
Tailor your degree to your own strengths and interests by choosing a focus area:
- Clinical: Choose this track if you want a career in occupational therapy, physical therapy, physician assistant, chiropractic, cardiac rehabilitation or exercise physiology.
- Health & Fitness: This track will be a good fit if you are interested in becoming a strength and conditioning specialist or personal trainer.
Doctor of Physical Therapy at Seton Hill
Seton Hill now offers a Doctor of Physical Therapy Program. Earn your undergraduate degree in Exercise Science and your doctorate degree right here on the Hill.
Seton Hill's Exercise Science Program will give you the knowledge and skills needed to work as a health and fitness professional. You will learn how to:
- Evaluate health behaviors and risk factors
- Conduct fitness assessments
- Develop and implement safe and effective exercise prescriptions
- Learn and use motivational strategies to guide people in behavioral change
Seton Hill's Exercise Science Program can also provide the academic requirements necessary for certification as a clinical exercise physiologist.
100% of our students that have completed a national certification, have done so successfully!
Leading Edge Classrooms & Labs
The Boyle Health Sciences Center, home of Seton Hill’s Exercise Science Program, features new clinical and research labs, classrooms, study areas and a Vibe Fresh Market.
All the Benefits of Seton Hill's School of Natural & Health Sciences
As a student in the Exercise Science Program, you will benefit from collaboration with associated academic programs - like nutrition and dietetics, biology, chemistry, nursing and premed - in Seton Hill's leading School of Natural and Health Sciences.
Guided Career Exploration
As a freshman and again as a senior, you will participate in career exploration activities. These involve “shadowing” professionals working in your field of interest. Since most careers in this industry require advanced degrees, you will also begin the process of researching and preparing for graduate study as a freshman.
Thinking you might like to run your own business someday? Seton Hill’s Exercise Science Program offers courses that will show you how it’s done.
After you have successfully completed all of your courses, you will enjoy an internship in the field of your choice.
Recent Internship Sites
- Burke Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Excela Athletic Training Services, Cardiac Rehabilitation & Physical Therapy Services
- Keystone Rehabilitation
- LA Fitness
- Sports Medicine Australia
- UPMC Cardiac Rehabilitation
Seton Hill University Exercise Program faculty are experts in the health sciences, with a focus in exercise science. They will teach you what you need to know, and help you with internships, graduate school and career choices.
Interesting Projects & Trips
- Exercise Prescription Practice: Every fall semester, senior exercise science students provide personalized exercise prescriptions to members of the Seton Hill community. Taking advantage of this opportunity will give you practical experience working one-on-one with a client in a supportive environment.
- Professional Development & Networking: Every year, students and faculty attend the Mid-Atlantic Regional Chapter Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine. This is a great opportunity for you to network, present research, or help the Seton Hill team win the exercise science trivia contest and fitness challenge!
An Exercise Science Degree Leads to Many Careers
With a degree in exercise science from Seton Hill, you will be ready to move on to advanced study and careers in:
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Physician Assistant
- Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation
- Exercise Physiology
- Athletic Training
- Health Coaching
85% of our 2022 graduate class will be attending graduate school or working in the fitness field!
Seton Hill’s award-winning Career and Professional Development Center (CPDC) will provide you with the career preparation skills and placement services you need. All of the Center’s services will remain available to you after you graduate.
Employers of Recent Graduates
- West Virginia University Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Forbes Regional Hospital Intensive Care Unit
- Johns Hopkins
- UPMC Shadyside
- LA Fitness
Seton Hill's degree program in exercise science is designed to meet the knowledge, skills and ability requirements of the American College of Sports Medicine.
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) is the largest programmatic accreditor in the health-sciences field. CAAHEP reviews individual education programs to make sure they meet the standards of the profession. The CAAHEP standards by which these programs are measured have been developed primarily by the professionals involved in each discipline, are approved by each profession, and are intended to reflect required knowledge and skills that a person needs to be able to successfully function within that profession. CAAHEP standards focus on quality outcomes, assuring that educational programs are preparing competent entry-level health care professionals. That means that CAAHEP-accredited programs provide the educational foundation necessary to begin a successful career in many allied health professions. Earning a degree from an accredited program verifies the quality of the educational experience you've received meets the standards of the profession.
Why is accreditation important?
Accreditation in the health-related disciplines serves an important role for both caregivers and the public. Along with certification and licensure, accreditation helps to assure that health care personnel are well-prepared and qualified. Accreditation also increases and enhances employment opportunities.
You can apply online for free any time. Seton Hill features streamlined admission requirements and a comprehensive aid program. If you haven’t been to visit us yet, please schedule a time to come up to the Hill. You may just see your future from here.