Engineering (B.A.) 3 +
3 + x = 2 Degrees
Seton Hill University offers an engineering program in the 3+ format. As an engineering major, you will spend three years as a chemistry or mathematics major at Seton Hill, while fulfilling the prerequisites for an engineering specialty. Engineering students then finish their course work at the University of Pittsburgh’s Swanson School of Engineering. Graduates from this program earn two degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts degree (B.A.) in chemistry or math from Seton Hill
- Bachelor of Science degree (B.S.) in engineering from Pitt
This process generally takes five years (three years at Seton Hill and two years in engineering school), with the exception of some specialized programs – like bioengineering – that may require a longer commitment in engineering school.
Advantages of the 3+ Program
Advantages of starting coursework for an engineering degree at Seton Hill:
- Time to assess your abilities and interests during your first few years at Seton Hill.
- A liberal arts foundation to your engineering degree enhances career options.
- The ability to fulfill the prerequisites for an engineering program in small classes, taught by professors (not teaching assistants).
- Make your Seton Hill chemistry and math credits count toward two degrees: one in chemistry or math, and one in engineering.
- If you decide not to continue with studies in engineering (even if you have entered engineering school) you can complete your degree at Seton Hill in chemistry or mathematics.
Admission to Seton Hill & the University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering
Once you have applied and been accepted to Seton Hill as an undergraduate student, you will consult with Seton Hill's engineering program advisor to set up a course of study that meets the prerequisites for the selected area of engineering. Additional information on admission to the Swanson School of Engineering can be found on Seton Hill's online catalog.
Seton Hill’s award-winning Career and Professional Development Center (CPDC) will provide you with the career preparation skills and placement services you need. All of the Center’s services will remain available to you after you graduate.
Ready to Take Your Next Step Up?
You can apply online for free any time. Seton Hill features streamlined admission requirements and a comprehensive aid program. If you haven’t been to visit us yet, please schedule a time to come up to the Hill. You may just see your future from here.