Federal & State Grants & Loans for Undergraduate Students


Federal Pell Grants

The federal Pell Grant program provides grants from the federal government to both full and part-time undergraduate students. Apply by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

Awarded to full-time undergraduate students who are making academic progress and show demonstrated financial need based on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) Grants

Residents of Pennsylvania who are attending school full-time or part-time (at least six credits in a semester) and who have need as determined by the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) are eligible for awards from this state agency. Grants are awarded to students who are making academic progress, are enrolled in 50% or greater courses where instruction takes place in a classroom, and show demonstrated financial need based on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Grants From Other States

If you reside in a reciprocal state, you may qualify for a state grant and be able to bring your grant into Pennsylvania. The amounts may vary. Please contact your state agency about application procedures and deadline dates.


Unlike other forms of aid, loans must be repaid.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program

This federal loan is available to students enrolled on at least a half-time basis. The amount students can borrow each academic year is based on class level. Freshmen can borrow a maximum of $5,500, sophomores can borrow a maximum of $6,500 and juniors and seniors can borrow a maximum of $7,500 per academic year. 

The Federal Direct Stafford Loan will be part of the financial aid award package and the student must submit the FAFSA form in order to qualify. The loan will be certified by the Financial Aid Office unless the award letter is returned by the student indicating that the loan is not needed. 

You must repay a student loan even if your financial circumstances become difficult.  Loans can't be canceled because you didn't get the education or job you expected, and they can't be cancelled because you didn't complete your education (unless you couldn't complete your education because your school closed).  If you don't make your student loan payment or make your payment late, your loan may eventually go into default.  If you default on your student loan, that status will be reported to credit bureaus, and your credit rating and future borrowing ability will be damaged.  In addition, legal action can be taken to require payment through garnishment of wages and withholding of tax refunds.

Completing a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note & Entrance Counseling

You can apply for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan and complete the required Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling session at: StudentLoans.gov. (Do not complete before July 1 of the year in which you will be attending college.) Once you have applied and completed all requirements, Seton Hill's Financial Aid Office will be notified and we will be able to complete the certification process. 

Federal Direct PLUS Loan

This loan is for parents of dependent undergraduate students. Parents who are credit approved may borrow a PLUS loan each year to assist in meeting college expenses that are not covered by other financial aid resources. This loan will not appear on the Financial Aid offer. The maximum amount a parent may borrow equals the total cost of attendance minus the student's total financial aid. Repayment traditionally begins within 60 days of the final disbursement of the loan, although parents may choose to make interest payments only and defer the principle until the student graduates. To obtain current interest rates please visit StudentLoans.gov.

Completing a Federal Direct PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note

To apply for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan, go to the web site: StudentLoans.gov. (Do not complete before July 1 of the year in which your student will be attending college.)

We're Here to Help! Call or email any time to get answers to questions about costs, enrollment or financial aid: HelpFinReg@setonhill.edu or (724) 830-1010.