Coronavirus Important Updates

How Is Aid Determined? 

In most cases, a student's financial aid package is based on the results of the FAFSA. The FAFSA assists the financial aid office in determining a student's "financial need." "Financial Need" is calculated by subtracting your EFC (expected family contribution), as calculated by the FAFSA, from your "cost of attendance" (a budget financial aid officers create that includes tuition, room, board, fees, books and miscellaneous expenses). The remaining amount is considered financial need and Seton Hill works very hard to fill as much of your financial need as possible. 

Cost of Education - Expected Family Contribution = Financial Need 

Seton Hill also offers non-need based aid to students, including academic, division and athletic scholarships. A significant number of our Seton Hill University Scholarships for incoming undergraduates are not based on financial need. 

How Will I Be Notified? 

Every student who is enrolled at the University and applies for financial aid will receive a financial aid offer via email. This offer will itemize each type of aid for which the student is eligible. The offer will list the type and amount of each grant, loan or scholarship as well as work-study eligibility. Please remember that in most cases you must be accepted for admission to receive a financial aid offer. 

Will My Awards Be Renewed Every Year? 

Unless noted otherwise, all forms of financial aid, including scholarships offered by the University, are generally renewed provided there is satisfactory academic progress and good standing, annually demonstrated financial need, and availability of funds. Students must submit the FAFSA application each year. 

Will My Financial Aid Offer Change? 

Your financial aid offer will be void or subject to change if you are in default on any federal loans; if you do not meet academic progress guidelines; if you owe a repayment on any federal student aid; do not report changes to the financial aid office regarding housing, enrollment, number in college, or receipt of outside scholarships/grants; or if you intentionally misrepresent your financial and personal information on your FAFSA and Seton Hill applications. 

Seton Hill University reserves the right to review, revise and/or cancel an award at any time because of a change of major; financial, housing or enrollment status; for lack of academic progress; and/or processing errors. 

What Is Academic Progress? 

Academic progress (AP) is defined as successfully completing the number of credits needed each academic year to advance to the next grade level. Visit the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy page for additional information.

What Effects my Financial Aid?

  1. Enrollment Status: Aid is usually awarded on an assumption of full-time status (12 or more credits per semester for undergraduates and 9 or more credits for graduate students). Financial aid for part time students will be adjusted accordingly. It is the student's responsibility to inform the financial aid office of a change in enrollment status and if you plan to audit a course. Generally speaking, a student must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credits per semester to receive aid (excluding any audited courses).
  2. Housing Status: If you change your housing status (move off campus, move on campus or commute from home), you must notify the financial aid office as your financial aid eligibility may increase or decrease.
  3. Change in Number in College: If there is a change to the number of family members in your household enrolled in college, you must notify the financial aid office.
  4. Reduction in Income: If your family experiences a change in income (loss of job) or incurs extraordinary expenses (medical, etc), contact our office. An adjustment to your aid may be possible.
  5. Outside Scholarships/Grants: If you receive any outside scholarships or employer reimbursement and receive federal, state or Seton Hill financial aid, you are required to notify the financial aid office immediately as these funds must be part of your financial aid package.

We're Here to Help! Call or email any time to get answers to questions about costs, enrollment or financial aid: or (724) 830-1010.