General Information for Commuters

Commuter students have access to all campus services and are encouraged to participate in campus organizations and activities. Below, and on our Commuter FAQs page, you will find the answers to questions commuting students most often ask.

Class Cancellations

Seton Hill class cancellation notices may be sent to active students, faculty and employees through the University's Campus Alert messaging service. Once you become a Seton Hill student, you'll be able to self-register through Seton Hill's intranet, MySHU, for this free emergency message service. (Recipient costs are limited to standard text messaging charges from your cellular phone provider.) Messages can be sent via email or text message.  

Lounge Areas

Two large lounges in Maura Hall are popular with commuters. Work areas, vending machines, a microwave, televisions, a printer and plenty of comfortable chairs and couches are available. Sullivan Hall also has a comfortable lounge area for studying or relaxing.


Lockers for commuters are located on the first floor of Maura Hall and in the Maura Hall Lounges. They are available on a first-come basis, and there is no charge for their use. Lockers must be vacated at the end of the academic year. Requests for a commuter locker can be made in the Office of Student Involvement, Maura Hall Room 223.


Resident students must have a mailbox assignment, and commuters are encouraged to do so. Requests for a mailbox can be made in the Office of Student Involvement, Maura Hall Room 223.

Dining Options 

Commuting students are welcome to dine in either Lowe Dining Hall or Griffin's Cove. Cash is accepted, or you may find that purchasing a meal plan is a more affordable and convenient option. Students interested in a meal plan can find some basic information here, or on the dining services website.

Need More Information?

If you are a new or prospective student, please contact the Office of Admissions at or (724) 838-4281.

If you are a currently enrolled student with questions about residence halls or meal plans, please contact the Office of Residence & Commuter Life by email:, or call (724) 838-4213 (between the hours of 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.) To contact this office after office hours, please call Campus Police at (724) 830-4999.