Answers to Commuter Students' Frequently Asked Questions

If you can't find the answer you need here, visit the Commuter Services page, or call the Office of Residence and Commuter Life: (724) 838-2441.

  • If I lock my keys in my car or need to have my battery jumped, will the University help me?

Yes. Should you lock your keys in your car or find that your battery is dead, you should contact Campus Police at (724) 830-4999 or x4999.

  • If I have an evening class and would like an escort back to my vehicle, will the University help me?

Yes. The Seton Hill University Police Department is happy to provide students with an escort to their vehicle. Just contact the police department by calling (724) 830-4999 or x4999.

  • Whom should I speak with if I have a question related to my classes or my academic major?

If you are currently taking a course and you have a question, you should start with the professor. They should be able to provide you with the answers that you need. If you have a question related to your major, you should make an appointment to speak to your academic advisor. If you are not sure who your advisor is, you should visit or contact the Registrar's Office.

  • How can I find out what clubs and activities exist on campus?

You can find a list of clubs and organizations here.

  • Can I get a meal plan as a commuter student?

Yes. Seton Hill University Dining Services (ARAMARK) offers a wide variety of meal plans and declining balance dollar options for commuter students. For more information view the Dining Services page.

  • Is there someplace on campus I can go to if I am feeling sick?

Yes. You can visit the offices of Health Services, Counseling Services or Disability Services.

  • How will I receive my parking permit?

You can obtain a permit through the Campus Police Office located in the Administration Building Annex, Room 115. Passes are available each year after the first of August, between the hours of 8:30 AM and 3:30 PM. There is no fee for the first permit issued each year. There is a $10 replacement fee for lost permits during the school year. (Keep in mind that parking spaces in popular areas can fill quickly. When arriving on campus, one should allow ample time for parking and either walking to class or taking the shuttle van.)

Need More Information?

If you are a new or prospective student, please contact the Office of Admissions at or (724) 838-4281.

If you are a currently enrolled student with questions about residence halls or meal plans, please contact the Office of Residence & Commuter Life by email:, or call (724) 838-4213 (between the hours of 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.) To contact this office after office hours, please call Campus Police at (724) 830-4999.