Art Therapy - Specialization in Counseling (M.A.)
Healing Through Art
At Seton Hill University, you can combine your love of art and your desire to help others into one inspiring and meaningful career through the M.A. in Art Therapy with a Specialization in Counseling Program.
Get the Information You Need to Move Forward Fast. Fill Out Our Easy Online Request for Information Form.
Why an M.A. in Art Therapy with a Specialization in Counseling from Seton Hill University?
Seton Hill’s Art Therapy graduate program - approved by the American Art Therapy Association - is both clinical and art-based, providing balanced training in clinical mental health care, community supports and art-based ways of knowing. As a student in the M.A. in Art Therapy with a Specialization in Counseling Program at Seton Hill University you will enjoy an academic experience that is reflective, transformative, collaborative and designed for livable learning.
Everything you need to succeed:
- Provides the educational requirements needed to attain credentials as a nationally recognized Board Certified Art Therapist (ATR-BC) and a Pennsylvania Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC).
- Features full-time core art therapy faculty along with expert faculty from related mental health fields.
- Places significant emphasis upon self-exploration and personal growth, along with critical thinking and the acquisition of clinical skills.
- Incorporates art-making throughout the curriculum in the fully-stocked art studios of Seton Hill’s award-winning Arts Center.
- Integrates coursework with firsthand experience as you learn and practice the artistic and therapeutic skills needed to be an effective, culturally competent and ethical provider of art therapy.
- Is designed for livable learning. Come to campus just two nights a week for five semesters, then enter your internship year.
- Is part of Seton Hill’s Mobile Learning Program, and provides all full-time students with MacBook Air laptops.
- Includes consideration of family and community contexts through several family systems theory courses taught by marriage and family therapists.
Your Career in Art Therapy
At Seton Hill University, we will provide you with the theory, skills and supervised experience needed to practice art therapy effectively. Our graduates have worked in:
- Bereavement & Hospice Care
- Family Therapy Wrap-Around Services
- Victim Trauma Services Centers
- Child Therapy Outpatient Clinics
- Drug & Alcohol Treatment Centers
- Private Practice
- Outpatient Mental Health Clinics
- Nursing Homes
- Alternative Educational Settings
- Prisons and Juvenile Detention Centers
- Homeless Shelters
- Pediatric Hospitals
Learn more about becoming a Registered, Board Certified Art Therapist and Licensed Mental Health Clinician.
Expert, Credentialed Faculty
The M.A. in Art Therapy Program faculty includes credentialed art therapists and faculty credentialed in related fields, such as counseling and marriage and family therapy. Core art therapy faculty members are nationally board-certified art therapists who are also licensed as professional counselors in the state of Pennsylvania.
Faculty have expertise in:
- The developmental needs of young professionals before and after graduation, including the transitional years from graduation to credentialing.
- Trauma-focused care and integration with art-based approaches.
- Clinical practice experience working with children through adults in a variety of agencies and across a continuum of care including standard mental health agencies and community-based settings.
- The changing healthcare marketplace and the art therapy competencies most needed by employers.
- A strong network of connections to organizations providing counseling and art therapy services throughout the region.
- A commitment to service to the profession. Seton Hill M.A. in Art Therapy Program faculty provide supervision, workshops and trainings to art therapists and related professionals and are active in the national art therapy professional association.
Ready to apply? Apply online now for free!
Learn More About the Art Therapy with a Specialization in Counseling M.A. from Seton Hill:
- Admission Requirements
- Practicum & Internships
- Art Facilities
- Art Therapy Faculty
- Graduate Aid
- Participation in the Peace Corps Coverdell Fellow Program
The Seton Hill M.A. in Art Therapy with specialization in counseling has been approved by the American Art Therapy Association (AATA) since 2000.