Canvas and Online Course Requirements
Canvas is the platform used to host online courses at Seton Hill University. Once you are enrolled at Seton Hill you will receive free access to Canvas. Below is a list of basic computer system requirements to ensure the best online learning experience. If possible, use the most up-to-date versions and fastest connections. Canvas will still run with the minimum specifications, but you may experience slower loading times.
- Canvas is best viewed at a minimum resolution of 800 x 600.
- If you want to view Canvas on a device with a smaller screen, we recommend using the Canvas mobile app
- Windows 7 and newer
- Mac OSX 10.6 and newer
- Linux – chromeOS
Mobile Operating System Native App Support
- As of January 5, 2019, Android apps require version 5.0 or later and iOS apps require version 11 or later
- All Android and iOS both support the two most recent versions of their respective operating systems
Computer Speed and Processor
- Use a computer 5 years old or newer when possible
- 1GB of RAM
- 2GHz processor
- Along with compatibility and web standards, Canvas has been carefully crafted to accommodate low bandwidth environments
- Minimum of 512kbps
- High speed internet connection with a connection speed of 1.5 MB/s or better is recommended
- Macintosh: VoiceOver (latest version for Safari)
- PC: JAWS (latest version for Internet Explorer)
- PC: NVDA (latest version for Firefox)
- There is no screen reader support for Canvas in Chrome
NOTE: Your computer must also have a sound card with speakers and microphone or capability to use an external headset with a microphone and an external webcam (for selected courses)
Lockdown Browser & Respondus Monitor
Many of Seton Hill’s online courses require the use of LockDown Browser (LDB) and a webcam for online exams. LockDown Browser is a web browser available as a FREE download.
LockDown Browser System Requirements
- Windows: 10, 8, 7
- Mac: MacOS 10.14 to 10.12, OS X 10.11, OSX 10.10
- iOS: 10.0+ (iPad only). Must have a compatible LMS integration
- Chromebook: (K-12 only)
- Windows: 75 MB permanent space on the hard drive
- Mac: 120 MB permanent space on the hard drive
LockDown Browser is a client application that is installed to a local computer. Both the Windows edition and the Mac edition of the browser are based on Chromium, Google's open source framework. Students do NOT need Google's Chrome browser installed; nor will this version affect a Chrome browser that's already installed.
Respondus Monitor (Webcam) System Requirements
Respondus Monitor is a companion product to LockDown Browser that uses a webcam to video record the exam session
- Windows: 10, 8, 7
- Mac: OS X 10.10 or higher
- iOS: 10.0+ (iPad only). Must have a compatible LMS integration. Details.
- Adobe Flash Player (bundled with the LockDown Browser installation)
- Web camera (internal or external) & microphone
- A broadband internet connection
If you’d like additional information on technology at Seton Hill or need technical support, please feel free to contact our Solution Center: