Canvas and Online Course Requirements
Canvas is the platform used to host online courses at Seton Hill University. Once you are enrolled at Seton Hill you will receive free access to Canvas. Below is a list of basic computer system requirements to ensure the best online learning experience. If possible, use the most up-to-date versions and fastest connections. Canvas will still run with the minimum specifications, but you may experience slower loading times.
A Laptop or Desktop Computer with One of the Following Operating Systems:
- Windows 8 or newer
- Mac OSX 10.6 or newer
Note: Chromebooks and mobile devices such as smartphones or tablets are not consistently supported by Canvas and are therefore not recommended or supported for online learning.
Computer Speed and Processor
- Use a newer computer - no older than 5 years if possible
- 1GB of RAM
- 2GHz processor
- Canvas is best viewed at a minimum resolution of 800 x 600.
- High speed internet connection with a connection speed of 1.5 MB/s or better is recommended
- Minimum of 512kbps
- Macintosh: VoiceOver (latest version for Safari)
- PC: JAWS (latest version for Internet Explorer)
- PC: NVDA (latest version for Firefox)
- There is no screen reader support for Canvas in Chrome
NOTE: Your computer must also have a sound card with speakers and microphone or capability to use an external headset with a microphone and an external webcam (for selected courses)
Lockdown Browser & Respondus Monitor
Many of Seton Hill’s online courses require the use of LockDown Browser (LDB) and a webcam for online exams. LockDown Browser is a web browser available as a FREE download.
LockDown Browser System Requirements
- Windows: 75 MB permanent space on the hard drive
- Mac: 120 MB permanent space on the hard drive
LockDown Browser is a client application that is installed to a local computer. Both the Windows edition and the Mac edition of the browser are based on Chromium, Google's open-source framework. Students do NOT need Google's Chrome browser installed; nor will this version affect a Chrome browser that's already installed.
Respondus Monitor (Webcam) System Requirements
Respondus Monitor is a companion product to LockDown Browser that uses a webcam to video record the exam session
- Adobe Flash Player (bundled with the LockDown Browser installation)
- Web camera (internal or external) & microphone
*LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor may run in older operating systems but students may encounter unexpected results.
If you’d like additional information on technology at Seton Hill or need technical support, please feel free to contact our Solution Center: