Digital Humanities for Business & Design (B.A.)
Telling Digital Stories For Fun and Profit
New! Courses Start Fall 2020.
Businesses rely on digital technology to tell people what they sell, and to help their customers use their products. Nonprofits rely on digital technology to let people know what services they provide, and how to get the help they need.
As a student in Seton Hill’s Digital Humanities Program, you will gain the skills and experience to become what all organizations desperately need - the rare professional who knows how to use the best tools to deliver a compelling message.
About the Program
As a digital humanities major, you will take a unique combination of courses in English, humanities, graphic and interactive design, business entrepreneurship, and communication. You will also choose an area of specialization that supports your personal academic and career goals, and gain hands on experience in a student-run design firm.
Areas of Specialization
- Creative Professional Writing
If you want to become a content creator or a writer for digital platforms, this specialization offers focused coursework in narrative, fiction and nonfiction professional writing.
- Graphic Design, Web Design & Branding
Provides you with the opportunity to strengthen you technical design skills through additional coursework in graphic design, animation, web design, typography and digital imaging.
- Integrated Business, Marketing & Communication
If you’re interested in starting new businesses or becoming an integrated marketing communication professional, this specialization provides targeted business coursework.
“Finding solutions to our greatest problems requires an understanding of human context as well as code; it requires both ethics and data, both deep thinking people and Deep Learning AI, both human and machine.”- Scott Hartley
Join Our Creative Design Firm
The Digital Humanities Program at Seton Hill manages a student-run design firm that serves small businesses and nonprofit agencies in our community. You will intern with this design firm twice - once as a new student, and again as a senior. While working with the firm, you will:
- Use the business, design, tech and storytelling skills you are learning in your digital humanities courses to help organizations communicate with their target audiences in creative, ethical ways.
- Collaborate with other students, creative professionals and Seton Hill alumni working in business, marketing and communication fields.
- Gain valuable real-world experience in a fun, supportive environment.
Clients of the design firm include:
- Thirty-three nonprofit organizations identified as “Impact Fund” partners through the local United Way. This group of service organizations spans community needs from education and disaster relief to community health.
- Greensburg Community Development Corporation
- Westmoreland County Economic Growth Connection
As a student in the Digital Humanities Program, you’ll benefit from the combined expertise of faculty from the Seton Hill School of Humanities, School of Business, and Graphic and Interactive Design Program.
Tools and technologies are constantly evolving, and are becoming increasingly user-friendly. The ability to think creatively, ethically and critically about these tools, and to implement them strategically in the workplace, will set you up for success in almost any field. Identifying and preparing for a career will be part of your coursework at Seton Hill, so by the time you graduate you will be confident about your career path. You will also receive support from our award-winning Office of Career and Professional Development in finding career opportunities, and taking advantage of them.
You can apply online for free!
Then schedule a visit and come on up to the Hill to find out more!