- Joined Seton Hill
- Easton, PA
- Contact Info
- (724) 830-1936
Seton Hill is a halfway homecoming for me. I grew up in Easton, Pennsylvania in the remnants of an Italian Catholic subculture. I went on to undergraduate work at the University of Scranton and graduate study at the University of Dayton. At Seton Hill, I teach in the Pastoral Ministry certificate program, run by the university in partnership with the Diocese of Greensburg, and in the traditional undergraduate curriculum. My research interests center on the intersections of sacramental theology and U.S. Catholic history and culture. My most recent book is One in Christ: Virgil Michel, Louis-Marie Chauvet and Mystical Body Theology (Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2017).
- Ph.D. in Theology, University of Dayton, 2014 [More Information]
- M.A. in Theological Studies, University of Dayton, 2010 [More Information]
- B.A. in English Literature and Theology, University of Scranton, 2004 [More Information]
- One in Christ: Virgil Michel, Louis-Marie Chauvet, and Mystical Body Theology. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2017. [More Information]
- Weaving the American Catholic Tapestry: Essays in Honor of William L. Portier. Co-edited with Derek C. Hatch. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2017. [More Information]
- Confirmation: How a Sacrament of God’s Grace Became All about Us. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2013. [More Information]
- “Freedom in the Spirit of God: Reflections on the Sacrament of Confirmation,” Deacon Digest (March 2014): 15–17.
- “Chauvet in Space: Louis-Marie Chauvet’s Sacramental Account of Christian Identity and the Challenges of a Global Consumer Culture.” In Religion, Economics and Culture in Conflict and Conversation, ed. Maureen O’Connell and Laurie Cassidy, 134-156. The 2010 College Theology Society Annual Volume 56. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2011. [More Information]
- College Theology Society, Co-Convener of the Ecclesiology Section [More Information]
- American Catholic Historical Association [More Information]
- American Academy of Religion [More Information]
- “What Does Confirmation Mean?,” St. Mary Catholic Church, Waverly, Iowa, October 2016
- “The Mystical Body of Christ in U.S. Catholic Depression-Era Theology.” American Catholic Historical Association 95th Annual Meeting, New York, January 2015.
- “Confirmation: How a Sacrament of God’s Grace Became All about Us,” Diocese of Richmond, Virginia, Clergy Study Days, 20–22 May 2014.
- “Mystical Body Theology Crosses the Atlantic: The Case of Virgil Michel,” College Theology Society Annual Meeting, St. Mary’s University of Texas, June 2012.
- “At the Risk of the (Mystical) Body: Louis-Marie Chauvet and the Prospects for a Mystical Body of Christ Retrieval,” Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Religion, San Francisco, November 2011.