Melissa Dreger PT, DPT, OCS
- Joined Seton Hill
- Mentor, OH
- Contact Info
- (724) 552-4320
Dr. Dreger holds a Pennsylvania PT license (#PT029609) and earned a DPT from the University of Pittsburgh in 2015. She completed the orthopedic physical therapy residency program at the University of Delaware in 2016 and has been a Board Certified Orthopedic Clinical Specialist since 2017. Currently, she is enrolled at Fielding Graduate University where she is studying Organizational Development and Change as a part of the PhD program within the School of Leadership Studies. She is also an APTA certified clinical instructor. Dr. Dreger is an Assistant Professor at Seton Hill University as of July, 1, 2021. She has advanced her clinical skills through various types of continuing education, including the APTA Combined Sections Meeting and the Virtual NEXT Conference in 2020, and in her previous work within an outpatient orthopedic academic clinical setting for the past 5 years. Due to her clinical expertise and clinical education background, Dr. Dreger will be leading the Musculoskeletal portions of the Physical Therapy Skills 1 and Clinical Reasoning 1 courses. She has taught in other entry-level DPT programs including as an instructor at Nova Southeastern University. Dr. Dreger has a number of peer-reviewed professional presentations, including “Achilles Tendinopathy: An Evidence-Based Overview for the Sports Medicine Professional” in 2019. Her clinical experiences in an outpatient orthopedic setting provide critical up to date case scenarios for student learning in topics including post-surgical management, therapeutic modalities, therapeutic exercise, functional movement and assessment, and inter-professional collaboration for the management of post-concussive syndrome. Dr. Dreger is regarded highly by students who appreciate her ability to bring clinic-based scenarios into the classroom through hybrid and traditional teaching methods. This is evidenced through feedback received by students through email communications while working at Nova Southeastern University. Student Course Evaluations indicate that she is clear and concise and effective in modifying techniques based on the understanding of each student. Students appreciate her openness to answer questions.
- Bachelor of Science, University of Mount Union - Exercise Science (May/2012)
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, University of Pittsburgh – School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences - Physical Therapy (April/2015)
- Orthopedic Physical Therapy Resident, University of Delaware - Physical Therapy (May/2016)
- PhD – Organizational Development and Change, Concentration in Inclusive Leadership for Social Justice, Fielding Graduate University - School of Leadership Studies (Ongoing)
- Post Rehabilitation Considerations for Individuals with Temporomandibular Disorders. Olivencia, Ovidio, Kaplan, Kelby, Dreger, Melissa, Veloz, Michael, Kais, Alexander, Marlowe, Katya. Strength and Conditioning Journal. 2021.
- Motor Learning Exercises Improves Fall Risk with Patient with High-Functioning Gait Speed. Dreger, Melissa. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, 2021. Poster Presentation
- Achilles Tendinopathy: An Evidence Based Overview for the Sports Medicine Professional. Kaplan, Kelby, Olivencia, Ovidio, Dreger, Melissa, Hanney, William J., Kolber, Morey J. Strength and Conditioning Journal. 2019. 41(5): 24-40.
- The Use of a Modified Tendon Loading Program in a Patient with Complex Unilateral Achilles Tendon Repair. Dreger, Melissa, Zellers, Jennifer, Giordano, Airelle, Silbernagel, Karin. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, 2017. Poster Presentation.
- The Use of Drop-Out Casting in a Patient with Persistent Knee Flexion Contracture Status-Post Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Dreger, Melissa, Schmitt, Laura A, Giordano, Airelle, Manal, Tara Jo. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, 2017. Poster Presentation.
- Postoperative Management of Orthopedic Surgeries: Knee. Axe, Michael, Snyder-Mackler, Lynn, Grieder, Anna Shovestul, Miller, Jeffrey, Dreger, Melissa, Palmer, Michael, Manal, Tara Jo. Orthopedic Section, APTA, 6 monograph course. July 2017.
- The Assistance of Mechanical Lumbar Traction in Reducing Persistent Plantar Foot Pain. Dreger, Melissa, Carroll, Anthony, Manal, Tara Jo. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, 2018. Poster Presentation.
- The Lumbopelvic Complex: Advances in Evaluation and Treatment. Carroll, Anthony, Dreger, Melissa, O’Rourke, Patrick, Manal, Tara Jo. Academy of Orthopedic Physical Therapy, APTA. Independent Study Course 28.3.5. Dec 2018.
- Emerging Leader Award – New Professional, Delaware Physical Therapy Association (2017)
- American Physical Therapy Association, Academy of Orthopaedic Physical Therapy, Academy of Physical Therapy Education
- American Council of Academic Physical Therapy member, Member of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Consortium, Clinical Reasoning Curricula and Assessment Consortium, and National Interprofessional Education Consortium
- Guest Lab Instructor – Knee Module. Nova Southeastern University, Musculoskeletal II, October 2020
- Success in Virtual Learning, Orientation. Nova Southeastern University, June 2020
- Guest Lab Instructor – Knee, Manual Therapy Module. Nova Southeastern University, Musculoskeletal I, June 2020
- Concussion Management from the Clinical Perspective. NSU Alumni Day, November 2, 2019
- An Interdisciplinary Approach to Concussion Management from the General Populations to Athletic. Florida Physical Therapy Associate Annual Conference, September 22, 2019
- Concussion Management from the Clinical Perspective. Florida Physical Therapy Association, PAC Fundraiser, August 10, 2019
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Nova Southeastern University, Musculoskeletal III, February 2019
- American Red Cross CPR-BLS Certified
- APTA Credentialed Clinical Instructor
- APTA Board Certified Orthopedic Specialist
- Member of Guide to PT Practice Revision Workgroup
- Member of the Specialization Academy of Content Experts (SACE), American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS)
- Member of the ISC Advisory Panel, Academy of Orthopedic Physical Therapy