Matthew Vogel PhD
- Joined Seton Hill
- Grove City, PA
- Contact Info
- (724) 830-1930
Dr. Matthew Vogel is a faculty member in the Education Department at Seton Hill University. He received his undergraduate degree in Business Administration from St. Bonaventure University. He earned his Master’s degree and Supervisory Certificate in Special Education from Slippery Rock University. Dr. Vogel earned a doctorate in Educational Management and Leadership from Robert Morris University, Pennsylvania. He has served for twelve years as an elementary and secondary special education teacher in the Pennsylvania public school system, teaching in Learning Support, Emotional Support, Autistic Support and Life Skills classrooms. Prior to his teaching career, Dr. Vogel was the Director of a grant funded research program which examined the validity of a neurological assessment and reeducation program for students identified with learning disabilities. In addition to his tenure at Seton Hill University, Dr. Vogel also completes consulting work for Pennsylvania public schools in the areas of high incidence disabilities, differentiated teaching strategies, positive functional behavioral assessments, transition planning, autism, and professional development. Dr. Vogel’s most recent research examines accommodations for students with learning disabilities at post secondary learning communities.
- Robert Morris University, Moon Twp., PA 2005-2009 Ph.D. Educational Management & Leadership Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA 2003-2004 Special Education Supervisory Certificate Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA 1997-1999 Master of Special Education Concentration – Learning Disabilities - 4.0 GPA Special Education K-12 Certification St. Bonaventure University, St. Bonaventure, NY 1989 - 1993 Bachelor of Business Administration Concentration – Management & Marketing
- “Transitioning to Post-Secondary Education: A guide for Students and Parents” Pittsburgh Parent Magazine, March 2017
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Vogel, M. “Understanding Your Transition to Post-Secondary Education” - October 9, 2020 –Pennsylvania Council for Exceptional Children (PA CEC) 61st Annual Conference -"Advocating Equity for All Learners"
- "Paving the Pathway to Success- Preparing Students with Autism to Life After High School" - Kappa Delta Pi's Teaching and learning Expo, Mercyhurst University, Erie, PA. October 19, 2019.
- “Transitioning to a Post- Secondary Educational Setting”-Keynote Speaker- Slippery Rock University- Intermediate Unit 4’s Transition Conference. co-presented with Point Park University student- October 20, 2016
- “Disability Awareness”- - Point Park University- Student Ambassadors (Summer Orientation leaders)- co presented with Point Park University Disability Services Coordinator, Matt Berwick, June 10, 2016
- “An Overview of Autism”- in service presentation- Seneca Valley School District for Special Education teachers, Gifted Education teachers and paraprofessionals- co presented with a student from PPU diagnosed with High Functioning Autism- January 13, 2017
- “Autism Awareness and Advocacy Panel”- featured speaker- November 4, 2018 - University of Pittsburgh
- “Student-Led IEPs”- presented to Autism Awareness Family Support Groups- Parents in Toto- Zelienople, PA – January 18, 2019
- “Empowering Students- Taking Control of your Transition Plan”- Beaver Area Family Support Groups- February 21, 2019
- “Self-Advocacy- Disclosing Your Disability to College Professors”- Beaver County Transition Conference- Community College of Beaver County- May 3, 2019
- Mentally and/or Physically Handicapped K-12- Instructional II issued 04/01/2004
- HOUSSE Designation English 7-12 issued 06/29/2007
- Mathematics 7-12- Instructional II- issued 07/01/2008
- Supervisory-Special Education K-12 issued 05/01/2013