- Joined Seton Hill
- Riverside, CA
- Contact Info
- Ph.D., Rutgers University, 1985
- Youth and Sexuality in the Twentieth Century United States. New York: Routledge, 2015.
- “AIDS.” Encyclopedia of Military Science. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2012.
- With David Majiros, “STDs.” Encyclopedia of Military Science. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2012.
- “Peyton Place and the boundaries of sexual desire in 1950s U.S.A.” in On the Borders of Convention, pp. 183-190. Ed. Aleksandra Nikcevic and Marija Knezevic. Niksic: Faculty of Philosophy, 2010.
- "American Youth Culture and the Revolution in American Sexuality," in New Perspectives: Essays on Language, Literature and Methodology. Ed. Aleksandra Nikcevic and Marija Knezevic. Niksic: Faculty of Philosophy, 2007.
- With James W. Reed. “Young and Pregnant: Adolescent Pregnancy in the 20th Century,” Cocca, Carolyn ed. Adolescent Sexuality: A Historical Handbook and Guide. Westport, CT: Greenwood/Praeger, 2006.
- “Love.” Encyclopedia of Children and Childhood in History and Society. New York: Macmillan, 2003.
- “Adolescent Sexuality,” Youth, Education, and Sexualites: An Encyclopedia. Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishing, 2005.
- “From Reassurance to Irrelevance: Adolescent Psychology and Homosexuality in America.” History of Psychology 5 (2002): 38-51.
- With Cynthia A. Magistro. New and Improved: The Transformation of American Women’s Emotional Culture. New York: New York University Press, 1998.
- “The Problem of Modern Married Love for Middle-Class Women” in Emotional History of the United States, Peter N. Stearns and Jan Lewis, eds. New York: New York University Press, 1998, 319-332.
- With Cynthia A. Magistro. “'Dreams Never to be Realized': Emotional Culture and the Phenomenology of Emotion.” Journal of Social History 28 (Winter 1994):295-310.
- “A Masculine View of Women's Freedom: Free Love in the Nineteenth Century.” International Social Science Review 69 (1995): 34-44.
- “Utopian Communities.” Encyclopedia of Social History. New York: Garland Publishing, 1994.
- “James Hervey Hyslop.” American National Biography. New York: Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Free Love: Marriage and Middle-Class Radicalism in America, 1825-1860. New York: New York University Press, 1988.
- “The Free Love Network in America, 1850-1860.” Journal of Social History 22 (Summer 1988): 765-779.
- “Anarchy and Community at Modern Times, 1851-1863.” Communal Societies (1983): 29-47.
- Fulbright Distinguished Lecturer, Filozofski Fakultet, University of Montenegro
- “American Dating Culture,” public lecture, Northern Arctic Federal University (Arkhangelsk, Russia), March 2012.
- Open Forum on American society and culture, Northern Arctic Federal University (Arkhangelsk, Russia), March 2012.
- “Sluts and Steadies: Boundaries of Sexuality for Postwar Youth,” at Popular Culture Association, March 19, 2008.
- Best Practices of Experienced Chairs, Workshop at Council of Independent Colleges’ Department / Division Chairs Workshops, May 30-Jun1 1, 2007.
- “What happened to girls’ romantic friendships?” at Society for the History of Childhood and Youth, July 2003.
- "'There's no place like home--except a lunatic asylum': Movies and Marriage," Popular Culture Association, April 2000.
- “But is she a Lesbian? Young Women in Love, 1915-1940" at the American Psychological Association Convention, August 1997.
- “'Comes the Clash of Personalities': Marriage and Popular Culture in the 1920s” at Lewis and Clark Genders Studies Symposium, April 1995.
- “Anti-Catholicism in the 1830s” at Organization of American Historians, April 1992.
- “The Awful Disclosures of William Leete Stone: Anti-nativism and American Nationality” at Society of Historians of the Early American Republic, July 1991.
- “Harmonial Men in Jacksonian America” at American Studies Association, October 1988.
- California Single Subject (Lifetime) Credential in Social Studies, English, German
- Chair of the Division of the Humanities, August 1999-August 2009