- Pittsburgh, PA
- Contact Info
Jessica Vaughan-Marra has recently accepted the position of Coordinator of Music Education at Seton Hill University (Greensburg, PA). She is also currently pursuing her Ph.D. in music education with an emphasis in string pedagogy at the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI). Prior to beginning her PhD, she taught instrumental music for nine years in the Cupertino Union School District (Cupertino, CA). She is a native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania where she completed her undergraduate degree in Music Education in 2006 at Duquesne University (Pittsburgh, PA). She received her Master’s in Music Education in 2010 from Northwestern University (Evanston, IL). Her research interests include: new teacher mentoring, instructional technology in the music classroom, and student motivation.
- In Progress - Ph.D., Music Education, University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI)
- MM., Northwestern University (Evanston, IL), 2011 B.S., Duquesne University (Pittsburgh, PA), 2006
- Teaching Outside Their Specialization: A Literature Review on Identity Development of Novice Music Educators Instrumental Music Teacher Educators Colloquium (2017)
- 1 or 1:1 - iPads in the Large Ensemble Classroom California All-State Music Educators Conference (2017) Indiana Music Educators Conference (2017) Michigan Music Educators Conference (2017)
- Edgar, S & Vaughan-Marra, J. C. (2018). Beginning Band. In C. Conway, K. Pellegrino, A. M. Stanley, C. West (Eds.), Oxford Handbook of Preservice Music Teacher Education in the United States. New York: Oxford.
- Conway, C., Vaughan-Marra, J. C., & Marra, C. M. (In process). Meeting the varied needs of Masters program graduates in music education.
- Vaughan-Marra, J. C. & Marra, C. M. (2016). Teaching music in the flat world. Arts Education Policy Review, Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Vaughan-Marra, J. C. (In process). Teaching composition in middle school orchestra: A school-university partnership. Vaughan-Marra, J. C. (In process).
- Marra, C. M. & Vaughan-Marra, J. C. (2016). A report on the 2015 society for music teacher education symposium. Michigan Music Educator, 53(2), 35-36.
- Vaughan-Marra, J. (2012). An e-folio for instrumental music classrooms: Assessment in the music classroom. Tempo, (2), 22-25.
- Vaughan-Marra, J. (2011). Concert Programming: The concert experience. Tempo, (1), 26-28.
- CMEA Gilbert T. Freites Outstanding Music Educator Award (2012) For emerging instrumental music educators with fewer than 7 years' experience
- National Association for Music Educators (NAfME) (2006 - Present)
- Pennsylvania Music Educators Association Member (2002-2006; 2017)
- America String Teachers Association (ASTA) Mentoring Project (2017)
- Michigan Music Educators Association Mentoring Program (2017)
- Society for Music Teacher Education - Conference Attendee & Presenter (2015; 2017)
- The California Arts Project (TCAP): “Collaborative Design Institute” Music Cadre Member (2014)
- California Band Directors’ Association (CBDA): (2007 - 2015) Assistant Special Projects Coordinator (2009 - 2015)
- California Music Educator’s Association (CMEA) (2006 - 2015) Bay Section chapter of CMEA board member (2010 - 2013) Solo and Ensemble Festivals host (2010 - 2014)
- Meeting them Where They Are: Content-Specific Mentoring for String Orchestra Educators America Educational Research Association (2017)
- Meeting the varied needs of Masters program graduates in music education (Co-Presenter) America Educational Research Association (2017)
- The California Arts Project (TCAP): Round Table Discussant California All-State Music Educators Conference (2015)
- Technology in the ensemble classroom: Round Table Discussant California Music Educators Conference Bay Section Conference (2015)
- Motivating the individual student in the large ensemble (Co-Presenter) California All-State Music Educators Conference (2017) Michigan Music Educators Conference (2017)
- Concert programming: a Prism of Opportunities (Co-Presenter) Indiana Music Educators Conference (2017)
- San José Youth Symphony Philharmonic: Featured Oboe Soloist (2014) San José Wind Symphony: Oboe (2012)