- Joined Seton Hill
- Donora, PA
- Contact Info
- (724) 552-4377
Jennifer Suppo, Associate Professor of Education; Ed.D. West Virginia University in Special Education, M.Ed. California University of PA in Special Education, Corporate Paralegal Certificate Duquesne University, B.A California University of PA in Political Science. Dr. Suppo holds a state certification in K-12 Multi-categorical Special Education. She has taught in both autistic support and life skills middle school classrooms.
- Ed.D., West Virginia University (Morgantown, WV)
- M.Ed., California University of PA (California, PA)
- B.A., California University of PA (California, PA)
- Corporate Law Paralegal Certificate, Duquesne University (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Suppo, J. L. (accepted). Elucidation of effective professional development experiences addressing inclusion for students with autism: A pilot study. Journal of Research Initiatives
- Suppo, J. L. (2017). The history of behavioral treatments in autism: From the punitive to the positive. Journal of the American Academy of Special Education Professionals, Spring/Summer 2017
- Suppo, J. L. (2016) Two models for evaluating evidence-based practices in autism," Journal of Research Initiatives, 2 (2), Available at: this link.
- Suppo, J. L. (2016) Professional development data: A review of action research and data analysis and its implications for special education. Journal of Research Initiatives, 2 (1), Available at this link.
- Mayton, M. R., Zhang, J., Carter, S. L. , & Suppo, J. L. (2015). Evaluating the readiness of special education doctoral students to apply the standards of evidence-based practice to single-case research. Journal of Research in Special Education Needs. doi: 10.1111/1471-3802.12103
- Suppo, J. L., & Mayton, M. R. (2014). Expanding training opportunities for parents of children with autism. Rural Special Education Quarterly, 33(3), 19-28
- Suppo, J. L. (2014). What are the qualities of a great teacher of a child with autism? Autism Spectrum Quarterly, Summer 2014
- Suppo, J. L., & Mayton, M. R. (2012). A portable potty plan for children with autism. Young Exceptional Children, 15(4), 3-16
- Suppo, J. L., & Floyd, K. (2012). Parent training for families who have children with autism: A review of the literature. Rural Special Education Quarterly, 31(2), 12-26
- 2017 Faculty Innovation Award: Best Practices in Mobile Technology
- Full Scholarship for Doctoral Study at West Virginia University (2010-2012)
- Conductor Award Nominee from ABOARD: Advisory Board on Autism and Related Disorders (2005)
- ACRES (American Council on Rural Special Education since 2011) (Elected to the ACRES Board 2015-Present; Elected as Secretary 2016)
- Easter Seals of Western and Central Pennsylvania (Elected to Board (2014-2017)
- Officer, Secretary: Pennsylvania’s Council for Exceptional Children, Division on Autism and Developmental Disabilities (PA CEC DADD) (2014)
- C.E.C.: Council for Exceptional Children (since 2007)
- NASET: National Association of Special Education Teachers (since 2012)
- Suppo, J. L., & Swank, T. (November, 2017) Access to dance and expression for individuals with disabilities. OCALICON National Autism and Disabilities Conference. Columbus, OH.
- Casebeer, D., Harris, K., Ordonez, B., & Suppo, J. L. (August, 2017). Assessments for data-driven decision making. Dual presentations at Seton Hill University’s 2017 Fall Workshop, Greensburg, PA
- Suppo, J. L., Sherer, M., Kleinschmidt, A., Monroe, S, Weiner, L., Szmyd, C, Smith, L., & Weishorn, J. (November, 2016). Students with complex instructional needs: Why we presume competency. Invited Speakers at Westmoreland Intermediate Unit: Clairview School, Greensburg, PA.
- Suppo, J. L. (October, 2016). The Principals of Catholic Social Teaching and the Council for Exceptional Children’s Ethical Principals of Special Education: Examination within the lens of public and private education. Presentation at the CST across the Curriculum Event at Seton Hill University, Greensburg, PA.
- Suppo, J. L., Sherer, M., Kleinschmidt, A., Weiner, L., Szmyd, C, Smith, L., & Weishorn, J. (September, 2016). Project max and higher education: Unit planning. Invited Speakers at the Project Max Institutes of Higher Education Replication Event 2016, Pittsburgh, PA
- Suppo, J. L., Sherer, M., Kleinschmidt, A., Monroe, S, Weiner, L., Szmyd, C, Smith, L., & Weishorn, J. (May, 2016). Project max and presuming competency: Lessons from higher education implementation. Invited Speakers at the Project Max Institutes of Higher Education 2016 Spring Symposium, Harrisburg, PA
- Suppo, J. L. (March, 2016). Breaking boundaries: Collaborating to make the arts accessible for students with complex instructional needs. ACRES National Conference 2016, Las Vegas, NV
- Suppo, J. L., Swank, T., & Mackey, L. (October, 2015) Breaking boundaries: Collaborating to make the arts accessible for students with complex instructional needs., Seton Hill University and Westmoreland Intermediate Unit 2015 Breaking Boundaries Autism Conference, Greensburg, PA.
- Suppo, J. L., Swank, T, & VanAken, Kellee (July, 2015). Breaking the Boundaries: Theater and the Arts for Students with Complex Instructional Needs. Association for Theater in Higher Education (ATHE) International Conference, Montreal, Canada
- Suppo, J. L. (March, 2015). Advising from a Distance: Meeting the Advising Needs of Graduate Students. ACRES National Conference 2015, New Orleans, LA
- Swank, T., & Suppo, J. L. (November, 2014) Culture of Collaboration in Higher Education. NDEO National Dance Education Organization National Conference 2014, Chicago, IL
- Suppo, J. L. & Swank, T. (March, 2014) Collaboration in education. ACRES National Conference 2014, Tucson, AZ.
- Suppo, J. L., & Swank, T. (March, 2014) Collaboration in education. Midwestern Early Childhood Institute Annual Conference 2014, Grove City, PA.
- Suppo, J. L. (November, 2013). Make mine to go: Portable potty plans for children with autism. OCALICON National Autism and Disabilities Conference. Columbus, OH.
- Suppo, J. L. & Mayton, M. R. (March 2013). Expanding training opportunities for parents of children with autism. ACRES National Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Suppo, J. L. & Mayton, M. R. (October 2012). A portable potty plan for children with autism. DEC's 28th Annual International Conference on Young Children with Special Needs and Their Families, Minneapolis, MN.
- Suppo, J. L. (October 2012). Let’s discuss the PPP: Portable potty plan for children with autism. Invited Speaker at DEC's 28th Annual International Conference on Young Children with Special Needs and Their Families for their “RP (Recommended Practices) Toolbox” presentation, Minneapolis, MN.
- Suppo, J. L. (May 2012). A Portable Potty Plan for Children with Autism. Presenter California University of Pennsylvania Autism Conference, California, PA
- Keramidas, C., Suppo, J. L., & Harman, L. (March, 2011). Should we change how we teach online? Students and their online preferences. ACRES National conference, Albuquerque, NM.
- Suppo, J. L. (December, 2010). Community supports for children with autism. Invited Speaker at Cleveland State University Autism Workshop, Cleveland, OH.
- Suppo, J. L. (October, 2010). Here we go…Overcoming challenges presented when out in the community. Presenter West Virginia University Autism in Focus Conference. Morgantown, WV.
- Suppo, J. L. (March, 2009). Out and about: Overcoming challenges presented when out in the community. Invited Speaker at California University of Pennsylvania, California PA.
- Suppo, J. L. (March 2008). Out and about: Overcoming community challenges. Presenter California University Autism Conference, California PA.
- K-12 Multi-categorical Special Education (Pennsylvania)
- 2016-Obtained Autism Endorsement from PDE for for Special Education Graduate Program
- 2016-on Editorial Board of Rural Special Education Quarterly Journal
- Worked with IU7 to co-host first Autism Conference at Seton Hill University in October 2015
- Pennsylvania Training and Technical Assistance Network (PaTTAN) Project MAX’s Institutes of Higher Education (IHE) invited member of 1st focus group (2015-2016) Federal Funded grant for the state of Pennsylvania
- The American Council for Rural Special Education (ACRES) conference proposal reviewer for the 2016 conference The High Stakes Game: Improving Student Outcomes for Rural and Urban Schools
- 2014—Submitted and Obtained for University Special Education 7-12 teaching Certificate--program approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education
- Co-create, Co-operate and wrote proposal for IRB approved exceptional needs dance class; work with Dance Education and PreK-4/Special Education together to create a positive, individualized learning environment for young students with exceptional needs. Work with students from both departments to assist in learning communication skills necessary to work with families of children with exceptional needs and to break down barriers to successful communication (Fall, 2013-2016).
- Created APA Help Guide utilizing PowerPoint to guide university students to properly use APA which is posted within graduate courses in education and on Seton Hill University’s Writing Center’s Website (Fall, 2013)
- Autism consultant with Canon-Mac School District (Spring 2013) Multiple consulting sessions over spring regarding student with autism
- Assist student set up Special Needs Jazz Dance Sessions and work with students during dance class session (Spring 2013)
- Program Review Committee- Seton Hill University (2012-2013) Review of Special Education Graduate and Autism Certificate programs
- Co-director of Grant: Mitchem, K., & Suppo, J. L. (2008-2009) Multimedia Case-Based Instruction on Autism Spectrum Disorders. PASSHE Grant.
- Co-director of Grant: Mitchem, K., & Suppo, J. L. (2007-2008) PEP (Parents, Educators, Providers) Rally for Autism Spectrum Disorders. California University of Pennsylvania Professional Development Grant.
- Special Needs Director (2011-2013) Special Needs Competitive Cheer Team
- Served on Expert Panel for federally funded grant (April 2010) Electronic Performance Support for School-wide Positive Behavior Support
- Served on Expert Panel for federally funded grant (Spring 2009) Electronic Performance Support – Kids Tools