Janice Stewart D.Ed.
- Joined Seton Hill
- Contact Info
I have been privileged to enjoy a positive and successful career as an educator in addition to being a life-long learner through daily interactions with students and colleagues, involvement in professional organizations, and continued professional development. In 2014, I retired from Hempfield Area School District where I enjoyed a career as the World Language Department Chair, teacher of all levels of French, sponsor of the French Club and French Honor Society, coordinator of multiple student trips to Europe and various destinations in the United States, as well as other roles. In addition, I served as an adjunct instructor for the Scholar Program at La Roche College, cooperating teacher for student teachers from various universities, and French and Reading teacher at Greensburg Central Catholic High School (prior to employment at Hempfield). I served as the 2014-2015 president of the Pennsylvania State Modern Language Association (PSMLA) and continue to be a member of several professional organizations.
- D.Ed. Indiana University of Pennsylvania : Curriculum and Instruction, Professional Studies in Education
- M.Ed. California University of Pennsylvania, Reading Specialist
- B.A. Grove City College, French
- Stewart, J. H. (2015). PSMLA Global Scholars Program: A Program to Honor Global Competency in PA Students. Pennsylvania State Modern Language Association Forum. PSMLA: Pittsburgh, PA.
- Fall, T., Reitlinger, R., Stewart, J. H. (Ed.) (2011) PSMLA Standards and Guide to Assessments: What to Teach and How to Test It!. Pennsylvania State Modern Language Association.
- Stewart, J. H. (2005). Foreign language study in elementary schools: Benefits and implications for achievement in reading and math. Early Childhood Education Journal. 32(6).
- American Association of Teachers of French (AATF)
- American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- Pennsylvania State Modern Language Association (PSMLA): President, 2014-2015 and Chair of various committees including Conferences for 2013 and 2017, Finance, Nominations and Elections, Publications and Technology, Membership, Act 48, and Global Scholars Program
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- Stewart, J. & Shafran, (2016 April 15). PSMLA Global Scholars Program: Enhancing outcomes and enrollment in your World Language Program. The IUP Spring Methodology Conference on Foreign Language Teaching, Indiana, PA.
- Stewart, J. (2016 February 12). PSMLA Global Scholars Program: Developing Global Competence and Building Programs. Northeast Conference for the Teaching of Foreign Languages, New York, NY.
- Stewart, J. (2015 February 22 and March 10). Developing Standards-Based Curriculum for World Languages. Hempfield Area School District: Greensburg, PA -
- Stewart, J. (2014 November). Differentiated Instruction and Authentic Assessment in the World Language Classroom. North Hills High School: Pittsburgh, PA
- Stewart, J. (2014 March). Differentiated Instruction in the World Language Classroom. Northeast Conference for the Teaching of Foreign Languages: Boston, MA. -
- Stewart, J. & Shafran, E. (2013 October). Differentiated Instruction in the World Language Classroom. PSMLA Conference: Pittsburgh, PA.
- Stewart, J. & McArdle, M. (2011 October). Bring the World into your Classroom with Skype. PSMLA Conference: State College, PA.
- Stewart, J. (2011, 2009, 2007, September). Engaging Digital Natives in the Foreign Language Classroom. Guest Lecturer, St. Vincent College, ED 300 Teaching of Foreign Language, K-12: Latrobe, PA.
- Pennsylvania teaching certificates: Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction - French - Reading Specialist