- Joined Seton Hill
- Contact Info
Barry Reeger has been documenting the lives of Western Pennsylvanians through photography for 28 years. He has covered visits to the Pittsburgh region by presidents and presidential candidates, documented the terrorist attacks of 9/11 through coverage of the crash of Flight 93, covered the impact of the Persian Gulf War through the deaths of reservists in the 14th Quartermaster Unit, and photographed the crash of Flight 427 near Pittsburgh. In addition to serving as a Penn State beat photographer for 20 years, Barry has covered Super Bowls, U.S. Open Golf Championships, NCAA bowl games, NCAA Wrestling Championships and other premier sporting events. Barry has served as a mentor to numerous young photojournalists through overseeing photography interns and through his service as an adjunct instructor of photography at Westmoreland County Community College for more than 19 years. Professional Experience Adjunct photography instructor, Fall 2018 to present Seton Hill University, Greensburg, Pa. - Taught film photography and B&W darkroom - Taught advanced photography independent study - Managed Darkroom Supplies and Camera distribution - Participated in Faculty Art Show,Harlan Gallery Spring 2019 Adjunct photography instructor, 2001 to present Westmoreland County Community College, Youngwood, Pa. - Taught a variety of photography courses in both film and digital formats, including basic photography, advanced photography, portrait photography, photojournalism, studio/location photography and digital photography/photoshop. - Established and developed the photojournalism course at WCCC. - Co-curated a Student Photography Exhibition at WCCC in Spring 2018. - Awarded the 2017 Part-Time Teacher of the Year Award. - Served on the Multimedia Technology Occupational Advisory Committee. - Served on the 2018 Part-Time Teaching Award Committee. Freelance Photojournalist and Owner, 2016 to present Barry Reeger Photography, Jeannette, Pa. - Offer photojournalism and photography services to a variety of editorial, corporate, nonprofit and individual clients. - Coverage offerings include news, sports, weddings, portraits and event photography. Chief Photographer, 1999 to 2016 Tribune-Review, Greensburg, Pa. - Managed a staff of photojournalists and digital photo technicians to provide 24/7 photographic coverage of news, features and sports events throughout southwestern Pennsylvania for publication in print and online formats. - Worked with reporters and editors to determine visual needs for articles and schedule appropriate personnel. - Managed and mentored photo interns and freelancers to develop their photographic and professional skills. - Managed departmental budget and ordering of supplies. - Guided the conversion from film to digital in 2001. - Served as a working photojournalist while also managing the department, covering spot news, features and sports, including Penn State football beat. - Developed multimedia and long-term photo projects for publication in print and online. Staff photojournalist, 1994 to 1999 Tribune-Review, Greensburg, Pa. - Served as a photojournalist covering spot news, features and sports throughout southwestern Pennsylvania. - Developed multimedia and long-term photo projects for publication in print and online. Staff photojournalist, 1990 to 1994 Indiana Gazette, Indiana, Pa. - Served as a photojournalist covering spot news, features and sports throughout Indiana County for a community newspaper.
- Associate’s Degree in Photography/Multimedia.,Art Institute of Pittsburgh
- Photographs have appeared in the following print publications/wire/online services: - Associate Press Contract Photographer - Tribune-Review - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Harrisburg Patriot-News/PennLive.com - Sports Illustrated - The Sporting News - Kingdom Magazine - Sports Business Journal - IUP Magazine - Forward Magazine - Staff of Tribune-Review, Field of Honor: How Flight 93 Inspired a Nation. Pittsburgh: Trib Total Media. 2011. Print. - Smolan, Rick and Cohen, David Elliot, Pennsylvania 24/7, New York: DK. 2004. Print.
- - National Press Photographers Association - Former National Press Photographers Association Region III Clip Chair
- - Offered occasional photography lectures at University of Pittsburgh Greensburg, Art Institute of Pittsburgh, Westmoreland Museum of American Art.
- - WCCC Part-Time Teacher of the Year 2017 - Society of Professional Journalists Sigma Delta Chi Award for Sports Photography 2014 - Ed Romano Memorial Award (Best in Show), Press Club of Western Pennsylvania 2004 - Pictures of the Year International, Sports Portfolio, Third Place 2003 - Pictures of the Year International, Sports, Award of Excellence 2002 - National Press Photographers Association Best of Photojournalism, Sports, Honorable Mention 2002 - National Headliner Award, Sports, Third Place 2002 - Pennsylvania Associated Press Managing Editors Awards, Various Categories and Years - Pennsylvania Newspaper Publishers Association Keystone Awards, Various Categories and Years - Pennsylvania Society of Professional Journalists Awards, Various Categories and Years - Press Club of Western Pennsylvania Golden Quill Awards, Various Categories and Years