Write Together: Edinburgh Napier University & Seton Hill University
Earn Degrees from Two Great Universities, Write a Novel AND Study for a Year in Scotland
- Someone who has always wanted to write a novel?
- Intrigued by the opportunity to study in novel-worthy settings – including the great historical city of Edinburgh, Scotland?
- Interested in earning two degrees in one combined program?
- Excited by the idea of learning how to write, live, market and publish as a professional author?
- Ready to change your life?
Get the Information You Need to Move Forward. Fill out the online Request for Information form.
Move Up in Your Life & Beyond Your Expectations
Through Seton Hill University’s dual degree collaboration with Edinburgh Napier University you will:
- Begin Seton Hill University’s M.F.A. in Writing Popular Fiction with a June on-campus residency in the gorgeous Laurel Highlands of southwestern Pennsylvania, where you’ll:
- Start your novel!
- Connect with a friendly, supportive writing community.
- Begin to develop the knowledge and skill base to create a future as a working author, editor or professor (or a combination of all three).
- Begin a year (September to August) of study abroad in the M.A. in Creative Writing at Edinburgh Napier University in Edinburgh, Scotland, where you will enjoy:
- An amazing city and university.
- An intensive on-campus writing program that develops skills and techniques while providing extensive practical experience.
- The kind of regular one-to-one editorial mentoring that is invaluable to a new writer (or an established writer who is venturing into the field of genre novel writing for the first time.)
- The chance to meet professional authors, editors and others in publishing to learn more about the industry and build a network of potential contacts.
- Optional modules - writing graphic novels, screenwriting, YA fiction or interactive media - to expand and enrich your skills.
- Once having satisfactorily completed all requirements, you will receive an M.A. from Edinburgh Napier University and be well on your way to completing your novel.
- As Seton Hill University’s M.F.A. in Writing Popular Fiction is an online program with twice-yearly on-campus residencies, you will remain an active part of Seton Hill’s program while studying in Edinburgh. Plus, Seton Hill faculty members will work with you directly to ensure an easy transition to Edinburgh’s program and then back to Seton Hill.
- After completing the M.A. in Scotland, you will attend the next January on-campus residency at Seton Hill University for the Writing Popular Fiction M.F.A. From this point onwards you will continue in the Seton Hill program.
- Having satisfactorily completed all requirements, you will have finished your novel – or possibly even two! - and earned your second degree - an M.F.A. in Writing Popular Fiction at Seton Hill University.
The Journey to Your Future
The Seton Hill University/Edinburgh Napier University Write Together Program will provide you with a novel, two degrees, a fun writing community that will continue to support you for the rest of your life AND the skills needed to become an author – or edit, publish or teach writing. The combined program will take you on a journey – not just from Greensburg to Edinburgh and back – but from life as a new writer with a dedicated support system to a career as an independent professional ready to live a writing life.
Financial Support is Available for Students who Qualify!
For time spent at Seton Hill, you are eligible for loans, military benefits and a Seton Hill payment plan. The process is the same as for any graduate student at Seton Hill.
For costs associated with time spent studying abroad at Edinburgh Napier University, you are eligible for Federal Unsubsidized and Graduate Plus loans and a payment plan through Edinburgh Napier. The process is the same as for other programs in that you will need to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may borrow up to the "cost of attendance" as determined by Seton Hill in collaboration with Edinburgh Napier. Cost of attendance can include tuition, fees, transportation, books, supplies and living expenses. Loans will be processed by Seton Hill. Once received by Seton Hill, the funds will be released to you to pay Napier directly, and to help with expenses during your time studying abroad.
Already a Graduate of the M.A. in Creative Writing at Edinburgh Napier?
You can add an M.F.A. from Seton Hill for fewer credits
As a graduate of the M.A. in Creative Writing at Edinburgh Napier University, you can now earn your M.F.A. – and finish the book you started at Edinburgh Napier – through the Writing Popular Fiction Program at Seton Hill University. Alumni from Edinburgh Napier University in Scotland can enroll in the Writing Popular Fiction Program at Seton Hill and earn an M.F.A. by taking 34 credits (instead of the usual 54) and attending four residencies (instead of six).
Ready to apply? Apply online now for free!
Contact Us to Learn More
At Seton Hill:
Assistant Director of Graduate & Adult Studies
Nicole Peeler, Ph.D.
Writing Popular Fiction Program Director
At Edinburgh Napier:
M.A. Creative Writing Program Leader
+44 (0)131 455 6155