As a Seton Hill Physician Assistant Program student you will enjoy wide-ranging academic experiences and hands-on clinical practice. Our faculty are dedicated educators and experienced health care providers who educate students to become clinically competent physician assistants who care for the whole patient - respecting diversity and delivering 'patient-centered' care that is ethically sound.
Master of Science in Physician Assistant
Seton Hill's Master of Science in Physician Assistant Program is a 27 month program that begins in Jaunary and graduates in May. During the first 15 months of the graduate program, students benefit from the expertise of Seton Hill's premier faculty through lectures, practical lab sessions, case presentations, problem-based learning sessions and off-campus clinical interactions. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy and Security Rules training and certification is provided to every student. The program concludes with a clinical training year, involving clinical rotations in health care facilities. In addition, each student is involved in research.
Bachelor of Science/Master of Science in Physician Assistant
This five year combined program gives freshmen the opportunity to earn both a Bachelor of Science and a Master of Science in only five years. Students complete math, science and behavioral science course prerequisites, along with the core liberal arts degree requirements, in their first two and a half years of study and then enter the graduate program. Upon successful completion of both phases the student receives both the Bachelor of Science and the Master of Science.
Mission & Objectives of the Physician Assistant Program
The Physician Assistant Program at Seton Hill University is dedicated to the use of mobile technology to provide students with a quality academic and clinical education. All students will be trained as effective team members. Program emphasis is on delivering optimal care in an efficient, effective and professional manner. The Physician Assistant Program at Seton Hill University strives to maintain a first time PANCE pass rate of 90% or greater for all students. Click to view Pass Rate Summary Report (PDF).
To achieve this goal the Physician Assistant Program will provide students with:
- The basic medical sciences needed for subsequent clinical studies and requisite to the role of the physician assistant.
- Training in the patient assessment, including techniques of interviewing and eliciting a medical history, physical examination, clinical procedures, information organization, and oral and written presentation.
- Information that presents medical findings from studies that focus on women and that highlight socioeconomic forces which impact on women in the health care system.
- The principles of clinical pharmacology and pharmaco-therapeutics appropriate to the medical therapy for common problems in clinical medicine.
- Information about the role of the physician assistant, including health care services delivery and the intra-professional, political, and legal factors of current and potential impact.
- A forum for discussion of ethical issues as they impact the physician assistant.
- Instruction in health psychology, behavioral medicine and the psychosocial factors that contribute to health with special attention given to cultural differences among patients.
- Instruction on how to interpret the medical literature in order to maintain a critical, current and operational knowledge of new medical evidence.
- Instruction and clinical practice experiences in those clinical disciplines relevant to primary care and major subspecialties.
- A clinical practice experience across the full life span.
- Experience with advanced technologies. (For instance, our radiology module uses a filmless digital program similar to the PAC system used in many hospitals, urgent care centers and doctor's offices. The university continually upgrades its learning management systems to ensure that students and faculty are always fully supported by the resources they need.)