Skip to Content

Seton Hill University


A Leading Catholic, Liberal Arts University

Marriage and family therapists work in private practice, family services centers, outpatient care centers, residential care facilities, home health care, hospitals and mental health facilities, and for local, state and federal government agencies.

Marriage and Family Therapist is Ranked:

“The environment that is provided at this MFT program is a gift to the world of therapists… I have had supervisors seek me out due to the powerful reputation that Seton Hill's MFT program has. I feel that this program has provided me the framework for a long and beautiful career in therapy.”

- Heather Brown earned her degree at Seton Hill in 2012 and began a career as a family therapist at Family Resources in Pittsburgh.

Becoming a Marriage & Family Therapist: Academic Training, Clinical Experience & Licensure

Becoming a marriage and family therapist requires both academic training at the graduate level and postgraduate clinical experience toward licensure. The program at Seton Hill provides students with the education necessary to seek licensure as a marriage and family therapist in all 50 states and a clinical membership in the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.

Becoming a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist (LMFT) in Pennsylvania 

Supervised Counseling Hours

Upon completion of Seton Hill's master's degree program, graduates may begin accumulating the 3000 experience hours (direct and indirect hours) required for marriage and family therapy licensure. 

Counseling Licensure (LMFT Status)

After completing 3000 supervised hours of clinical practice graduates will be eligible to sit for examination to become licensed marriage and family therapists in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

The Pennsylvania State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors can provide detailed information on becoming a licensed counselor in Pennsylvania.

Licensure Outside of Pennsylvania

Applicants to the Seton Hill M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy Program who are interested in obtaining counseling licensure in states other than Pennsylvania are encouraged to research the education, experience and examination requirements needed to obtain a license in their state of choice. The link below should help you find the information you need: 

American Association for Marriage & Family Therapy - Regulatory Boards

To contact the Office of Graduate Admissions, fill out the online Request for Information form. Ready to apply? Apply online now for free! You may also call Graduate Admissions at (724) 838-4208 or email us at