- A completed graduate study application form (Apply online now for free!).
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution and official undergraduate transcripts from all institutions attended.
- Official transcript(s) from any institution(s) in which postbaccalaureate or graduate course work was completed.
- Two letters of recommendation written by appropriate professionals.
- A current resume.
- Portfolio of artwork containing 10 - 13 examples of your own artwork as PDF files, including work in drawing, painting and clay. Submit via email or by mailing a USB drive. Please add a half page artist statement onto your portfolio describing ways you engage in art-making for personal growth. Refer to a few examples from your portfolio.
- Preparatory Coursework Form (PDF). (See below for more information on Preparatory Coursework.)
- Recent sample of your academic or professional writing (preferably in APA style).
- Personal Statement of Interest: Please answer the following questions and clearly number your response for each prompt:
- We are curious about your interest in applying to the Seton Hill program. Please summarize why you wish to become an art therapist and the reasons why becoming a mental health therapist specifically are important to you.
- What do you personally envision being the most challenging aspect of graduate school and in becoming an art therapist?
- What interests you in the Seton Hill University Art Therapy program in particular? How might Seton Hill, as opposed to studying elsewhere, help you achieve your professional goals?
- The program demands a large amount of self-discipline and productive work habits (much reading and writing) even while typically working part-time. How do you plan to handle this workload and what challenges might you encounter during your studies?
- Seton Hill is committed to preparing graduates who are culturally competent social change agents who understand the relevance of cultural differences as defined by privilege and oppression. How does awareness of your social responsibility to society align with your interest in becoming an art therapist?
- For this final prompt, respond in 1 - 2 pages: Think about a helping relationship you've been engaged in during the past year, a time when you were attempting to help someone.
a. Describe the situation as it occurred at that time.
b. What did you do in the situation?
c. How did you feel about the situation at the time you were experiencing it?
d. How do you feel about the situation now? Would you change any part of it?
Applicants must have completed the following preparatory coursework at an accredited academic institution with grades of B (3.0) or better. These courses may or may not have been included in the undergraduate degree. These may be undergraduate or graduate level courses.
18 semester credits of studio art including:
- Three credits each of: drawing, painting, clay/ceramics (should include some hand building).
- Three credits of advanced studio coursework in painting, drawing or clay.
- Six credits of additional studio art coursework in any media.
12 semester credits of psychology courses including:
- Three credits each of introductory/general psychology, abnormal psychology and developmental psychology.
- Three credits of additional psychology coursework.
Applicants lacking preparatory coursework may request to be admitted to the graduate program provisionally, with the understanding that any outstanding preparatory coursework must be completed by the end of the first year of graduate study. When this coursework is completed the applicant will be granted regular graduate student status, which is required in order to continue into the second year of study. Use the bottom portion of the Proof of Completion of Preparatory Coursework form to request Provisional Admission.
Please submit completed applications including all requested materials no later than eight weeks prior to the term in which you wish to enroll -- by July 1 for fall admission and by November 30 for spring admission.
Office of Graduate and Adult Studies
Seton Hill University
1 Seton Hill Drive
Greensburg, PA 15601
As soon as the Office of Graduate and Adult Studies receives any application materials from you an electronic file is created. You will have access to the file, to enable you to track the progress of your application. After all materials have been received your application will be reviewed and you will be notified in writing of the admission decision.