Become A Developer
In this program you will take on different real-life roles in the software development field, such as web designer, mobile developer and back-end developer. In these roles, you will progress through realistic multiweek projects derived from typical real-world industry challenges, like designing a nonprofit website and later adapting it as a mobile-friendly web app, developing an application to track political metrics, coding a game and developing your own project as a freelance entrepreneur.
What will I learn?
After successful completion of this online certificate program you will be able to:
- Develop responsive mobile-friendly web pages & smart device interfaces.
- Develop interactive front-end applications for web and mobile deployment.
- Develop back-end web services & data repositories.
- Develop native mobile applications for smartphones.
- Gain employment in the field of software development or pursue advanced study.
Knowledge and skills gained will include:
- Advanced competencies in software development and computer science (object oriented design, algorithms and data structures, integrated development environments and more).
- Ability to solve complex problems.
- Methods used to communicate fluently using the professional vocabulary of the domain.
- Proficiency in working in team environments.
- You will be familiar with the following languages and tools:
- HTML (standard language for web pages).
- CSS (visual presentation language).
- Java (general-purpose programming language).
- JSON (asynchronous browser/server communication).
- jQuery (cross-platform client-side scripting).
- Apache Cordova (PhoneGap – mobile application development framework).
- And more!
Will I be taking traditional college courses online?
Story-Centered Learning experiences are constructed as sequences of modules for learners working in cohorts. (Your cohort would include all of the other students who start the certificate program at the same time you do.) The number of modules in a particular experience will vary.
All modules require synchronous participation; you will interact with classmates and faculty in real time through digital classrooms. If necessary, arrangements can usually be made for local participants to meet face-to-face.
What is the time commitment?
This fully-online certificate program can be completed in approximately a year.
When can I start?
This online certificate program has multiple start dates a year.
Next session start time: August 2018.