Understanding & Using Big Data
The Data Analytics Online Certificate Program will teach you how to solve a broad range of problems using a variety of predictive analytics and statistical techniques. The program focuses on examining the vast amounts of data generated during online transactions, in order to develop informed business strategies. It is designed to enhance the ability of professionals from any field to utilize data analytics and big data when making decisions. You will learn to apply statistical machine learning and other techniques to data sets, and you will discover how to collaborate with information technology and other specialists in collecting, maintaining and analyzing data to support business decisions.
What will I learn?
Upon successful completion of this online certificate program, you will be able to:
- Identify types of business problems for which data analysis can provide significant insights in support of business decision-making.
- Translate business objectives into data mining opportunities.
- Install, run and apply statistical machine-learning tools to different kinds of data.
- Apply data mining in ecommerce by becoming broadly competent in the use of the statistical machine learning techniques of classification and regression.
- Acquire, process and analyze extremely large data sets using cloud-based data mining methods to do data exploration, discover patterns and answer business questions.
- Develop the confidence to succeed as a professional analyst by building a professional portfolio that includes end-to-end project experience on practical data analytics projects.
Knowledge & skills gained will include:
- Wide data access & query (the web, social media, smart devices, the Internet of Things).
- Machine learning.
- Cloud computing.
- Conceptual modeling.
- Predictive modeling.
- Statistical analysis.
- Sentiment analysis.
- Hypotheses testing.
- Data visualization.
- Written, oral & visual results presentation.
You will be familiar with the following languages and tools:
- Predictive analytics using statistical machine learning for classification and regression analyses.
- Time series regression analysis.
- Data visualization.
- Big data analytics (sentiment analysis).
- Weka (statistical machine learning).
- R (statistical computing, machine learning, and visualization).
- Amazon Web Services (cloud computing).
- MapReduce and Hadoop (processing large datasets).
- S3 (unstructured data storage).
- The common crawl of the World-Wide Web.
- And more!
Will I be taking traditional college courses online?
Story-Centered Learning Experiences are constructed as sequences of modules for leaners working in cohorts. (Your cohort would include all of the other students who start the certificate program at the same time you do.) The number of modules in a particular experience will vary.
All modules require synchronous participation; you will interact with classmates and faculty in real time through digital classrooms. If necessary, arrangements can usually be made for local participants to meet face-to-face.
“I chose the Data Analytics class to update my skills for my current job and to make myself more marketable for other opportunities. I am enjoying the class; it is definitely challenging for a nontraditional student like myself. I wasn't sure I would like a class that was totally online but so far it has been a positive experience. Our instructor/mentor has been available and quick to respond to any questions.”- Lisa Fox, Telecommunications Industry
What is the time commitment?
This fully-online certificate program can be completed in approximately a year.
When can I start?
This online certificate program has multiple start dates a year.