Seton Hill Faculty
Catherine Giunta, Ph.D., is a Professor in the Business Program, in the Division of Social Sciences at Seton Hill University. She teaches graduate and undergraduate courses, including HR and Marketing curriculum, and Liberal Arts Core classes. A former SHU C.A.S.E. (Council for Advancement and Support of Education, sponsored by Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching) Professor of the Year, her presentations include the Academy of Management, the Academy of Business Education, the American Marketing Association, The Institute of Behavioral and Applied Management, and the Annual Business and Leadership Symposium. She is SPHR certified and a member of and the campus coordinator for Business-Marketing majors for Alpha Mu Alpha, the national marketing honorary society. Her paper, "An Analysis of Branding HR Department Activities for Strategic Value Creation," was accepted for the Journal of Business and Leadership: Research, Practice, Teaching. Dr. Giunta is the former American Society for Training and Development national HRD Professor Field Editor. She advises the Business Club, which encompasses the award-winning AMA Collegiate Chapter and the nationally-honored SHRM Student Chapter.
Joined Seton Hill: 1984
Hometown: Pittsburgh, PA
Personal Areas of Interest:
Academic Areas of Interest: Pedagogical innovation for business students, including those majoring in areas I have concentrated upon throughout my career: Human Resource Management (including HRD) and Marketing (including International Marketing).
- Ph.D. School of Business and Technology, Organization and Management, Capella University, Minneapolis, MN. (Focus on Human Resource Management and Marketing)
- M.A. Degree; Industrial Relations, St. Francis University, Loretto, PA
- B.A. Degree - Seton Hill University, Greensburg, PA
- Giunta, C. (2012). “iPad and Web2.0 Pedagogic Innovations in Marketing: Utilization of Entrepreneurial Skills”, Journal of Marketing Development and Competitiveness,Vol. 6(5)., 107-114.
- Focus includes Human Resource Management, Marketing, Management:
- “iPad and Web2.0 Pedagogic Innovations in Marketing: Utilization of Entrepreneurial Skills”,(2012) Giunta, C. United States Association of Small Business and Entrepreneurship (USASBE) 26th Annual Conference Proceedings
- Managing Survivors after the Layoff, (2011) Giunta, C. Journal of the Academy of Business Education, vol. 12, Proceedings, entry 11
- Giunta, C. (2011, March). Investigation of Students as Consumers: New Insights
for Marketing Pedagogy. New Orleans, LA: American Marketing Association
International Collegiate Conference Faculty Proceedings. [blind peer-
- Giunta, C. (2010, Fall). Enhancing Project Management
Skills in Business Curriculum. Journal of the Academy of Business
Education, 11 (Proceedings 2010), entry 10 [blind peer-reviewed]
- Giunta, C. (2010, April). A Model for Developing Effective Classroom Teams in
Marketing Coursework. New Orleans, LA: American Marketing Association
International Collegiate Conference Proceedings. [blind peer-reviewed]
- In press: Giunta, C. (Section authors). Chapter 14, Human Resource
Management, Hayton, J (ed.), in Management through Collaboration:
Teaming in a Networked World. (Rouledge 2011).
- • Giunta, C. (2009, Fall). A Model of the Use of Cinema in Business Pedagogy.
Florida: Ft. Lauderdale: Journal of the Academy of Business Education, 10
(Proceedings 2009), entry 1, 1-14 [blind peer-reviewed]
- Giunta, C. (2008). An experiential learning model for HRM students. Journal of
Human Resources Education.
- Giunta, C. (2008). An experiential learning model for HRM [Human Resource Management] students. The Fifth Innovative Teaching in Human Resources and Industrial Relations (HRIR) Conference Proceedings, USA.
- Giunta, C. (2008). A service learning model for management students. Academy of Business Education Annual Conference Proceedings, USA, 9.
- Giunta, C. (2008). Catholic social teaching in higher education business courses. Business Education at Catholic Universities: The Role of Mission-Driven Business Schools: University of Notre Dame, June 11-13, 2008. [Printed on conference website].
- Giunta, C. (2008). Internal marketing of curriculum: New approaches for engaging the student learner. Issues in Marketing Higher Education: American Marketing Association 30th International Collegiate Conference Proceedings, USA, 19-21.
- Giunta, C. (2007). An analysis of branding HR department activities for strategic value creation. Journal of Business and Leadership: Research, Practice, Teaching, 3(1).
- Giunta, C. (2007). HR un-secreted: A focus on self-marketing--An analysis of the marketing of their departments. IBAM (Institute of Behavioral and Applied Management) Conference 15 Proceedings, USA,101-115.
- Giunta, C., Gordon, J., Williams, M. (2007)."The Significance of the Malcolm Baldrige
National Quality Award (MBNQA) as Key Competencies for Human Resource
Business Professionals." (Peer-reviewed) Journal of the Academy of
Business Education, 8 (Proceedings 2007), entry 19, 1-13.
- Giunta, C. (Spring,2003)." Redesigning HR." WHRA News, Vol 2, Issue 1.
- Giunta, C, “Training Needs Assessment, Determining Your Training Needs”, WHRA Annual Conference, May 15, 2003.
- Giunta, C, “The In’s and Out’s of Professional Certification”, WHRA, January 9, 2002, with Susan Post, SHRM Area 1 Manager.
- Recipient of the Academy of Management Human Resources Division’s annual HR Division Innovative Teaching Award
- Chosen WHRA HR Professional of the Year.
- SHU C.A.S.E. 1996 Professor of the Year
- Earned Seton Hill University's Caritas Medal for long-term service
- Commencement speaker, Seton Hill University, December 2008
- Academy of Management
- American Marketing Association
- Society for Human Resource Management
- GBA, Marketing Chair
- WHRA, College Relations Advocate
- HR Committee, Blackburn Center
- "The Next Great Generation? A Multi-Factor Comparison with the Greatest Generation: Insights for Management and Marketing Education”, September 14, 2012, Academy of Business Education Conference
- "Mentors at the College Level: The Impact on Effective Instruction”, May 4, 2012. Presented with Dr. A. Quinlan, NEERO annual conference
- “iPad and Web2.0 Pedagogic Innovations in Marketing: Utilization of Entrepreneurial Skills”, January 14, 2012, workshop, United States Association of Small Business and Entrepreneurship (USASBE) 26th Annual Conference
- Giunta, C. (2011, March 25). Investigation of Students as Consumers: New Insights for Marketing Pedagogy Presentation at American Marketing Association International Collegiate Conference, New Orleans. (peer-reviewed)
- Giunta, C. (2010, September 30). Enhancing Project Management Skills in Business
Curriculum, Academy of Business Education Annual Conference, San Antonio, TX. (Peer-reviewed)
- Giunta, C. (2010, August 19). The Balancing Act. Delmont, PA: Women’s Leadership Council.
- Giunta, C. (2010, April 9). A Model for Developing Effective Classroom Teams in Marketing Coursework Presentation at American Marketing Association International Collegiate Conference, New Orleans.
- Giunta, C. (2009, September 25). A Model of the Use of Cinema in Business Pedagogy. Academy of Business Education Annual Conference, Ft. Lauderdale Fl.
- Giunta, C. (2009, July 31).Diversity of Ages: How to work within a multi-generational workplace -A Focus on Managerial Approaches. Presentation at Paul C. Rizzo Associates, Inc.
- Giunta, C. (2009, March 27). Completion of Marketing Plan: A Dynamic Learning Experience for Entry-Level Marketing Students. Presentation at American Marketing Association International Collegiate Conference, New Orleans.
- Giunta, C. (2009, February 1). Diversity of Ages: How to work with a younger workforce. Presentation at 17th Annual Women’s Business Network Retreat, Greensburg, PA.
- Giunta, C. "A Service Learning Model for Management Students," Academy of Business Education Annual Conference (peer reviewed), September 2008.
- Giunta, C. "An Experiential Learning Model for HRM [Human Resource Management] Students." Academy of Management (invited following HRIR conference), August 2008.
- Giunta, C. The Realization of Entrepreneurial Skills through Marketing Plan Completion International Conference on Learning, at the University of Illinois at Chicago, June 3-6, 2008.
- Giunta, C. (May 22, 2008). “Generational Differences and the Effect on Work and Life,” Babst, Calland, Clements & Zomnir, P.C.
- Giunta, C. Internal Marketing of Curriculum: New Approaches for Engaging the Student Learner, for Marketing Education Track, American Marketing Association, Annual Conference, April 3-5, 2008. Published in American Marketing Association Faculty Proceedings: Issues in Marketing Higher Education, 30th Annual AMA International Collegiate Conference, "Absolutely 'Dig-it-al' Marketing in a Digital Era," April 3-5, 2008, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Giunta, C. (November 6, 2007). "Generational Differences and the Effect on Work/Life Policy for Your Business" for Capitalizing on a 21st Century Workplace
- Senior Professional in Human Resources, Society for Human Resource Management
- Long-standing teacher of successful regional Marketing Plans.
- Lead person on project to develop Masters of Management, which evolved to the current MBA Program
- Served as senior faculty mentor
- Catholic Social Teaching mentor as a result of Mission Effectiveness ad hoc Learning Task Force and Workshop Committee that lead to the first annual Catholic Social Teaching Workshop, SHU, May 2005