Graduate Program Director of Special Education and Assistant Professor, Division of Education
Jennifer Suppo, Assistant Professor of Education; Ed.D. West Virginia University in Special Education, M.Ed. California University of PA in Special Education, Corporate Paralegal Certificate Duquesne University, B.A California University of PA in Political Science. Dr. Suppo holds a state certification in K-12 Multi-categorical Special Education. She has taught in both autistic support and life skills middle school classrooms.
Joined Seton Hill: 2012
Hometown: Donora, PA
Personal Areas of Interest: Spending time with family, swimming, walking
Academic Areas of Interest: Autism, Special Education, Collaboration, Inclusion, Parent Training, Severe Disabilities, Adapted Sports
- Ed.D., West Virginia University (Morgantown, WV), 2012
- M.Ed., California University of PA (California, PA), 2008
- B.A., California University of PA (California, PA), 1994
- Corporate Law Paralegal Certificate, Duquesne University (Pittsburgh, PA), 1995
- Suppo, J. L. (submitted). Powerful professional development data: A review of action research and data analysis and its implications for special education.
- Suppo, J. L., & Mayton, M. R. (in review). Expanding training opportunities for parents of children with autism
- Mayton, M. R., Zhang, J., Carter, S. L., & Suppo, J. L. (in review). Assessing the readiness of special education doctoral students to evaluate research as evidence-based practice.
- Suppo, J. L. (2014). What are the qualities of a great teacher of a child with autism? Autism Spectrum Quarterly, Summer 2014
- Suppo, J. L., & Mayton, M. R. (2012). A portable potty plan for children with autism. Young Exceptional Children, 15(4), 3-16
- Suppo, J. L., & Floyd, K. (2012). Parent training for families who have children with autism: A review of the literature. Rural Special Education Quarterly, 31(2), 12-26
- Full Scholarship for Doctoral Study at West Virginia University (2010-2012)
- Conductor Award Nominee from ABOARD: Advisory Board on Autism and Related Disorders (2005)
- Officer, Secretary: Pennsylvania’s Council for Exceptional Children, Division on Autism and Developmental Disabilities (PA CEC DADD) (2014-Present)
- C.E.C.: Division for Research (since 2013)
- C.E.C.: Division for Early Childhood (since 2013)
- C.E.C.: Council for Children with Behavioral Disorders (since 2011)
- C.E.C.: Teacher Education Division (since 2010)
- C.E.C.: Technology and Media Division (since 2009)
- C.E.C.: Division on Career Development and Transition (since 2007)
- C.E.C.: Division on Autism and Developmental Disabilities (since 2007)
- C.E.C.: Council for Exceptional Children (since 2007)
- NASET (National Association of Special Education Teachers)
- ACRES (American Council on Rural Special Education since 2011)
- ABOARD’s (Advisory Board on Autism and Related Disorders) Autism Connection of Pennsylvania
- Suppo, J. L. & Swank, T. (March, 2014) Collaboration in education. ACRES National Conference 2014, Tucson, AZ.
- Suppo, J. L., & Swank, T. (March, 2014) Collaboration in education. Midwestern Early Childhood Institute Annual Conference 2014, Grove City, PA.
- Suppo, J. L. (November, 2013). Make mine to go: Portable potty plans for children with
autism. OCALICON National Autism and Disabilities Conference. Columbus, OH.
- Suppo, J. L. & Mayton, M. R. (March 2013). Expanding training opportunities for
parents of children with autism. ACRES National Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Suppo, J. L. & Mayton, M. R. (October 2012). A portable potty plan for children with autism. DEC's 28th Annual International Conference on Young Children with Special Needs and Their Families, Minneapolis, MN.
- Suppo, J. L. (October 2012). Let’s discuss the PPP: Portable potty plan for children with autism. Invited Speaker at DEC's 28th Annual International Conference on Young Children with Special Needs and Their Families for their “RP (Recommended Practices) Toolbox” presentation, Minneapolis, MN.
- Suppo, J. L. (May 2012). A Portable Potty Plan for Children with Autism. Presenter California University of Pennsylvania Autism Conference, California, PA
- Keramidas, C., Suppo, J. L., & Harman, L. (March, 2011). Should we change how we teach
online? Students and their online preferences. ACRES National conference,
- Suppo, J. L. (December, 2010). Community supports for children with autism. Invited Speaker at Cleveland State University Autism Workshop, Cleveland, OH.
- Suppo, J. L. (October, 2010). Here we go…Overcoming challenges presented when out in the community. Presenter West Virginia University Autism in Focus Conference. Morgantown, WV.
- Suppo, J. L. (March, 2009). Out and about: Overcoming challenges presented when out in the community. Invited Speaker at California University of Pennsylvania, California PA.
- Suppo, J. L. (March 2008). Out and about: Overcoming community challenges. Presenter California University Autism Conference, California PA.
- K-12 Multi-categorical Special Education (Pennsylvania)
- Elected to the Board of Directors for Easter Seals of Western and Central Pennsylvania June 2014-Present
- Co-create, Co-operate and wrote proposal for IRB approved exceptional needs dance class; work with Dance Education and PreK-4/Special Education together to create a positive, individualized learning environment for young students with exceptional needs. Work with students from both departments to assist in learning communication skills necessary to work with families of children with exceptional needs and to break down barriers to successful communication (Fall, 2013-present).
- Created APA Help Guide utilizing PowerPoint to guide university students to properly use APA which is posted within graduate courses in education and on Seton Hill University’s Writing Center’s Website (Fall, 2013)
- Sponsored through Introduction to Exceptional Children course “Light it up Blue” bake sale (Spring 2013) with all proceeds to benefitting ABOARDS Autism Connection of PA (raised over $350.00) and Spring 2014 worked with Education Club students to hold the 2nd annual "Light it up Blue bake sale (raised over $370.00)
- Autism consultant with Canon-Mac School District (Spring 2013) Multiple consulting sessions over spring regarding student with autism
- Assist student set up Special Needs Jazz Dance Sessions and work with students during dance class session (Spring 2013)
- Program Review Committee- Seton Hill University (2012-Present) Review of Special Education Graduate and Autism Certificate programs
- Co-director of Grant: Mitchem, K., & Suppo, J. L. (2008-2009) Multimedia Case-Based Instruction on Autism Spectrum Disorders. PASSHE Grant.
- Co-director of Grant: Mitchem, K., & Suppo, J. L. (2007-2008) PEP (Parents, Educators, Providers) Rally for Autism Spectrum Disorders. California University of Pennsylvania Professional Development Grant.
- Special Needs Director (2011-2013) Special Needs Competitive Cheer Team
- Served on Expert Panel for federally funded grant (April 2010) Electronic Performance Support for School-wide Positive Behavior Support
- Served on Expert Panel for federally funded grant (Spring 2009) Electronic Performance Support – Kids Tools
- Guest reviewer (10/11) Rural Special Education Quarterly
- Guest reviewer (09/11) Teaching Exceptional Children
- Lead team “Becca Boo” to walk in the Highmark Walk for a Healthy Community in support of ABOARD’s Autism Connection of PA to raise donations for ABOARD and autism awareness (since 2004)