Professor and Program Director: Graduate Program in Orthodontics
Daniel J. Rinchuse, DMD, MS, MDS, PhD: For almost 40 years Dr. Dan Rinchuse has had a career in academics, research, and private orthodontic practice. Dr. Dan Rinchuse received his Doctorate of Dental Medicine (1974), MS (1974) in Pharmacology/Physiology, MDS (1976) in Orthodontics, and PhD (1985) in Higher Education from the University of Pittsburgh. Previously he was a Professor of Orthodontics for 34 years at the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine Department of Orthodontics. He has authored over 90 articles in peer-reviewed journals and co-author a book, "Evidence-based clinical orthodontics" in 2012. In addition, he is a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics and editorial consultant for the American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacical Orthopedics, The Angle Orthodontist, European Journal of Orthodontics and others. Currently, he is Professor and Program Director of Orthodontics at Seton Hill University Center for Orthodontics, Post Graduate Program in Orthodontics.
Joined Seton Hill: 2010
Hometown: Greensburg, PA
Personal Areas of Interest: Martial arts (7th Degree Black Belt in Okinawan Uechi Karate, 4th Degree Black Belt in BJJ Jiu-JItsu), tennis (USPTA, and PTR professional certifications), fitness
Academic Areas of Interest: Orthodontics, pharmacology, evidence-based clinical practice, biomechanic, self-ligating brackets
- Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh (Higher Education), 1985
- M.D.S., University of PIttsburgh School of Dental Medicine (Orthodontics), 1976
- D.M.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine, (Doctor of Dental Medicine), 1974
- M.S., University of PIttsburgh (Pharmacology/Physiology). 1974
- B.S., Indiana University of Pennsylvania, (Biology), 1969
- Cozzani M, Mazzotta L, Bowman SJ, Rinchuse DJ. Utility of the vertical slot in orthodontic brackets. J Clin Orthod accepted for publication 2015.
- Rinchuse DJ. You “practice” orthodontics. Rev Esp Ortod 2015;45:167-176.
- Cozzani M, Ragazzini G, Delucchi A, Barreca C, Rinchuse D, Servetto R, Piras V. Self-reported pain after orthodontic treatments: A randomised controlled study on the effects of two follow-up procedures. Eur J Orthod 2015, 1–6 doi:10.1093/ejo/cjv032.
- Cozzani M, Mazzotta L, Rinchuse, DJ, Cozzani, P. Asymmetric mandibular molar protraction with conventional mechanics. J Clin Orthod 2015;49(5):304-311.
- DiBagno D, Busch LS, Rinchuse DJ. Uprighting impacted mandibular second molars using NiTi wire. Orthod Pract 2015;6(2):31-38.
- Martins MB, Rinchuse DJ, Busch LS, Farrow AL, Zullo T. Current perception of optimal lip protrusion among African American laypersons. Orthod Prac 2015;6(3):48-51.
- Rinchuse DJ, Sigler LB, DiBagno D, Cozzani M. Overview: Extraction treatment Part 2 Guidelines for making the extraction decision. J Clin Orthod 2015;49(1):29-34.
- Williams R, Rinchuse DJ, Zullo T. Authors’ response. Perception of midline deviation among different facial types. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2015;147(1):13-14.
- Walter R, Rinchuse DJ, Rinchuse DJ. Sleep apnea treatment: A survey investigating current orthodontic treatments and philosophies. Ortho Pract 2015;6(1):19-25.
- Bowen TB, Rinchuse DJ, Zullo T, DeMaria ME. The influence of text messaging on oral hygiene effectiveness. Angle Orthod 2015;85:543-548.
- Rinchuse DJ, Sigler LB, DiBagno D, Cozzani M. Overview: Extraction treatment Part 1 The extraction vs. nonextraction debate. J Clin Orthod 2014;48(12):753-760.
Rinchuse DJ, Cozzani M. Effectiveness and efficiency in clinical orthodontic practice. International Orthodontics. Accepted for publication 2015..
- Bui K, Rinchuse DJ, Zullo T, Cozzani M. Perception of facial attractiveness following modification of the nose and teeth. International Orthodontics. 2015;164:1-15. http://dx.doi:10.1016/j.ortho.2015.03.001
- Williams R, Rinchuse DJ, Zullo T. Perception of midline deviation among different facial types. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2014;145:249-255.
- Keith DJ, Rinchuse DJ, Kennedy M, Zullo T. Effect of text message follow-up on patient’s self-reported level of pain and anxiety. Angle Orthod 2013;83:605-610. ( OrthoVoice Award 2013)
- Miles P, Smith H, Weyant R, Rinchuse DJ. The effects of a vibrational appliance on tooth movement and discomfort: a prospective randomized clinical trial. Aust Orthod J 2012;28(2):41-45.
- Miles P, Rinchuse DJ, Rinchuse DJ (editors). Evidence-based clinical orthodontics. Quintessence, to be published 2012.
- Pandis N, Rinchuse DJ, Rinchuse DJ, Noble J. Chapter 1 Evidence-based orthodontic practice. Evidence-based clinical orthodontics.. Quintessence, 2012.
Rinchuse DJ, Miles P. Chapter 2 Early intervention. Evidence-based clinical orthodontics. Quintessence, to be published 2012.
Miles P, Rinchuse DJ. Chapter 5 Class II treatment non extraction and extraction. Evidence-based clinical orthodontics. Quintessence, to be published 2012.
Rinchuse DJ, Miles P, Sheridan JJ. Chapter 13 Orthodontic retention and stability. Evidence-based clinical orthodontics. Quintessence, 2012.
- McKeta N, Rinchuse DJ, Close JM. Practitioner and patient perceptions of orthodontic treatment: Is the patient always right? Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry 18 JUL 2011 doi: 10.1111/j.1708-8240.2011.0045.x
- Rinchuse DJ, Rinchuse DJ. Modification of the Bidimensional system. Orthodontics: The art and practice of dentofacial enhancement. 2011;12(1):10-21.
- Karam J, Rinchuse DJ. Amalgam corrosion in vacuum formed retainers (VFR). Orthodontics: The art and practice of dentofacial enhancement. 2011;12(1):70-74.
- Kahlon S, Rinchuse DJ, Robison JM, Close JM. An in vitro evaluation of frictional resistance with five ligation methods and Gianelly type ‘working’ wires. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2010;138:67-71.
- Kandasamy S, Rinchuse DJ, Rinchuse DJ. The wisdom behind third molar extractions. Aust Dent J March 2009;54:284-292.
- Rinchuse DJ. Effectiveness of lingual retainers bonded to the canines in preventing mandibular incisor relapse: Reviewer’s critique. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2008;134(2);180.
- Pendleton R, Rinchuse DJ, Robison JM, Close JM, Marangoni R. Attachment bond strengths of thermoplastic retainer materials using two acrylic bonding resins. J Clin Orthod 2008; 42(4)215-219.
- Rinchuse DJ, Rinchuse DJ, Karam JR. Consecutive treatments and the “random walk.” Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2008;133(6):792-5.
- Rinchuse DJ, Rinchuse DJ, Kandasamy S, Ackerman MB. Deconstructing evidence in orthodontics: Making sense of systematic reviews, randomized clinical trial, and meta-analyses. World J Ortho 2008;9:167-176.
- Rinchuse DJ, Miles P. Self-ligating brackets: Present and future. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2007;132:216-22.
- Rinchuse DJ, Jerrold L, Rinchuse DJ. Orthodontic Informed Consent for Impacted Teeth. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2007;132(1):103-104.
- Rinchuse DJ, Rinchuse DJ, Sosovicka M, Robison J, Pendleton R. Clinician’s Corner Case Reports: Orthodontic Treatment of patients using bisphosphonates. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2007;131(3):321-326.
- Rinchuse DJ, Miles P, Sheridan JJ. Orthodontic retention and stability: A clinical perspective. J Clin Orthod 2007;41(3):125-132.
- Rinchuse DJ. Rinchuse DJ, Kapur R. Orthodontic Appliance Design. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2007;131(1);76-82.
- Pittsburgh Magazine TOP DENTISTS/ORTHODONTISTS August 2007 Pittsburgh Magazine TOP DENTISTS/ORTHODONTISTS August 2008 Pittsburgh Magazine TOP DENTISTS/ORTHODONTISTS August 2009
- Pierre Fauchard International Honorary Academy 1991-Present
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) - Honors Dental Society 1991-Present
- Fellow of the College of Diplomates of the American Board of Orthodontics 1990-Present
- Fellow of the American College of Dentists (FACD) 1990-Present
- Zugsmith Award for outstanding clinical proficiency, 1974 University of Pittsburgh, School of Dental Medicine.
- Honors Graduate of the University of Pittsburgh, School of Dental Medicine 1971-1974
- College of Diplomates of the American Board of Orthodontics
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- Toronto Orthodontic Association, Toronto, Canada April 10, 2015
- TP Orthodontics CE Course, Scottsdale, Arizona December 3,4,5, 2014
Efficiency and Effectiveness in Orthodontics: An Evidence-Based perspective
- TP Orthodontics Residents Conference, LaPorte, Indiana October 22, 23, 2014
Efficiency and Effectiveness in Orthodontics: An Evidence-Based perspective
- Lima, Peru August 29, 30, 2014
Efficiency and Effectiveness in Orthodontics; Extraction Controversies; Retention and Stability of Orthodontic Treatment - Asociacion iberoamericana de ortodoncistas
- Mexico City, Mexico April 3, 2013
Efficiency and Effectiveness in Orthodontics
- The X Congresso Nazionale Accademia Italiana di Ortodonzia Rome, Italy
Drs. Mauro Cozzani and Dan Rinchuse Self-Ligation March 22, 23 2013
- Nebraska Society of Orthodontists: Controversies in orthodontics: Orthodontic efficiency, appliance design, biomechanics and self-ligation: An evidence-based perspective. Extraction v. Nonextraction debate. Early Treatment. March 23, 2012
- University of Florida Orthdontic Alumni Association - Controversies in Orthodontics: An evidence-based perspective, August 26, 2011
- The Rome Symposium: Power 2 Reason,Rome, Italy ,May 27-28, 2011
- Central Illinois Orthodontic Study Club, Chicago, Illinois, April 8, 2011
- Sociedad de Especialistas en Ortodoncia de Puerto Rico (SEO). Controversies in orthodontics: orthodontic efficiency, appliance design, biomechanics and self-ligation: An evidence-based perspective. Extraction v. Nonextraction debate. Early Treatment. Caguas, Puerto Rico-October 30, 2010
- Board Certified Orthodontist by the American Board of Orthodontics 1990-Present