"I am traveling to Spain during M-term. For my Honors Capstone project, I am going to write a travel narrative based on my experiences there ... I have chosen to focus on a specific time period: the Spanish Civil War/the dictatorship of Francisco Franco. I am also pursuing an education certification, so helping people learn is something that I value." - Lauren Miller, a Seton Hill sophomore Spanish major with a creative writing minor, spring 2009
"For my [Honors Capstone Project] I am creating an ecotourism minor for Seton Hill." - April Walker, a Seton Hill junior hospitality and tourism major, spring 2009
Honors Program Objectives
Honors students show respect for learning when they:
- Think logically, analyze objectively, and synthesize clearly.
- Set clear learning goals and assess their achievement.
- Transcend course boundaries through creative, self-directed learning.
- Work beyond majors to pursue interdisciplinary interests.
- Practice service learning and assess its value.
- Demonstrate strong and creative communication skills by presenting research results to diverse audiences in varied formats.
- Show initiative in research projects and plans of action.
- Demonstrate stewardship by respecting and fostering initiative and creativity in others.
Honors Program Guidelines
Student projects must consistently demonstrate:
- Cognitive Flexibility
- Creative and original perspectives: think in unusual directions, create options, and initiate speculative reflection.
- Content Knowledge
- Critical insight: analyze, synthesize, and evaluate based on accurate, complete, coherent, and consistent research procedures.
- Practical transcendence: transcend course and campus boundaries to address the world; integrate varied research disciplines and present results in diverse formats.
- Organizational Responsibilities
- Effective and efficient method: design an action plan based on realistic timelines, available research tools and guidance, academic goals, career intentions, and the stated responsibilities of all persons involved in a given project.